Syra and Poor Shade Arrive from Pickering. 03/21

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

The original rescue attempt for the hairless boy didn't work out leaving us all deflated, but then these girls needed to be picked up fast in the same city and Jenniferkelley was on the case! She picked up these 2 for me, and brought them right down.

Syra the black variberk is a small girl at 290 grams, but waaaay bigger than her sister. She has a nice coat, a good body shape and big eyes. She is very frightened of handling and cries whenever she's touched.

oct2Syra3.jpg

oct2Syra2.jpg

oct2Syra.jpg

Shade the black berk, we assumed had mites or some other buggy due to her patchy coat. Well, no scabs, no tumours, no lung sounds, teeth are even, no smell from her mouth, no smelly ears, etc. But something is wrong with this scary teeny, bony, wobbly girl. She only weighs 176 grams and is supposed to be 13-14 months along with Syra her sister. She also cries when touched.

I emailed and asked if they were the same age and why Shade was in such shape...

Syra and Shade are both the same age. when I took Shade to the vets she had an ear infection that we had to treat with ear drops that my sister got for me cause my sister is a vet tech for gorham animal hospital and when i took her back the vet there said that she was okay.

Does anyone know if Gorham treats rats??? :undecided:

THIS is not healthy :(

Shade3.jpg

oct2Shadedangling.jpg

oct2Shade3.jpg

oct2Shade1.jpg

oct2Shade2.jpg

And the 2 sisters together
oct2SyraandShade.jpg

oct2ShadeandSyra.jpg

The patchy loss of hair, that could be adrenal cancer? My vet told me this can happen with adrenal adenomas.
She looks severely malnourished.

I wondered if it was something different, thyroid or ?

Good thing is Shade has no issues trying everything out, even if Syra won't touch anything but puffs at this point

oct2Shadedrinking.jpg

lilspaz68 said:
jorats said:
Poor thing, she looks emaciated, is she bony?

Very. While i was gently feeling her over for scabs, i kept thinking "there's one...oops not that's a bone" :doh:

Oh man... poor thing.
When I first got Brie, she was very skinny, almost emaciated and very bony especially her hips. I thought she must be an old rat with all the muscle loss but nope, since being with me, she's got all her muscle back and if feeling really well.
I'm so hoping with your TLC she is going to bounce back. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Syra is beautiful! Poor Shade, fingers and toes are crossed for her.

Well, puffs are a start at least, I guess...

Any idea what food they were with? The ad said they'd be given with what food was left in the bag (I shudder to think what that might be...)

M0onkist said:

Any idea what food they were with? The ad said they'd be given with what food was left in the bag (I shudder to think what that might be...)

Never got any. Oh well couldn't be that good. I gave them the last of my Harlan. :p

They are in their new home, and Shade made it to the very top, whereas Syra hasn't figured out how to get up from the ground floor (she fell off the hammock) even though I lowered the hammock.

oct2SyraandShadescage.jpg

lilspaz68 said:
M0onkist said:

Never got any. Oh well couldn't be that good. I gave them the last of my Harlan. :p

They are in their new home, and Shade made it to the very top, whereas Syra hasn't figured out how to get up from the ground floor (she fell off the hammock) even though I lowered the hammock.

They were being fed extrusion and milk drops. I didn't give you the bag because there was only 4 pellets of extrusion left and they were turning moldy. To be honest I tossed it in a trash can around the corner of her house. Maybe she didn't realize it was moldy. Also the expiry date on the bag was feb/11...... Could be a reason she's sick.

jenniferkelley said:
lilspaz68 said:
M0onkist said:

They were being fed extrusion and milk drops. I didn't give you the bag because there was only 4 pellets of extrusion left and they were turning moldy. To be honest I tossed it in a trash can around the corner of her house. Maybe she didn't realize it was moldy. Also the expiry date on the bag was feb/11...... Could be a reason she's sick.

Could be what made her like that but Syra is in great shape. :scratch: Poor Shade, our newest conundrum!

Wow, glad the girls are with you now. I hope you figure out what is ailing Shade. She looks awful compared to her sister. Because Syra is in good shape, it must be something medical that is wrong with Shade. I'm glad she's eating well!

Really hope so!

There's your second chance Shade and Syra!
I'm sure they'll take it. In a week they won't be so afraid to be touched and you'll figure out Syra :)

Are you considering putting her on a course of antibiotics 'just in case'? Maybe she has an ear infection that is still going on, just with no tilt. The drops may have just cleared it up superficially.

Back