swollen leg

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilez_n_hugs

Today during playtime I noticed one of my older manrats favouring his right paw. He will put some of his weight on it but not all of it. So I scooped him up to take a look and noticed that his front leg is swollen just above his foot (between his wrist and elbow). I cant really get a good feel to know if it is a broken bone or just a bump so what do I do? Any advice or personal experience would be appreciated.

Edit: After thinking about it I'm almost certain Max recieved this injury from fighting with his brother so Max will be enjoying a stay in the hospital cage which has no ramps until I can figure out whats going on.

So I ended up going out and getting some childrens advil for Max because i was having trouble getting comfy so he's finally resting. I think my question now is if it is broken what can the vet do for him?

Thanks for replying so I know I'm doing the right things for him. And Max is doing alot better today he's starting to use his leg little by little and he loves haviing my little boys come visit him.

You are doing brilliantly.

Rats are amazingly fast healers. Just make sure you give the boys a little time together each day (monitored) so that they stay "friends" and then you will not have to do the re-intro's ;)

Ok so Max is still in the hospital cage and having visits with Joey regularily so I was just wondering how much time I should keep Max in the hospital cage? Or should I be waiting until he's walking normailly again?

When you see him using his leg properly, then he's all good. It's good that he gets his visits with buddies.
Sometimes if the leg is not all that bad, you don't have to change cage, they may stay quiet and calm until they heal.

Back