Swollen foot

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
David has swollen foot and ankle ... 10xs or more normal size
Found him in cage like that.
He is Nettie (Sarah's) & Byron's boy so bit over 2 yrs.
Gave 2 drops of metacam around 1 pm and tried to apply cold to foot (ice and then cold water). Not working.
... ideas?

May20Davidsfoot01001.jpg

May20Davidsfoot01002.jpg

May20Davidsfoot01003.jpg

Red stuff on my rat pants is med mixture from trying to get other ratties to take meds earlier.

How much is he using it? At all? or does he let it rest on the ground when he stops or is pulled up tight into his body?

Let's see a drop is usually .025-.05 cc's. So you have given him .05-.1 cc.

IF you find its not enough, give him more...its only long term usage that can cause bleeding issues.

Is he a bigger boy?

Poor boyo. :/

Has David been on any medication? I had a rat who had an allergic reaction and his foot was swollen, even looked red and inflamed.

Do you know if David could have caught his foot in something? This was Jamz foot. He was in a hospital cage at the time. And the vet said it was an allergic reaction to Baytril.

jamzfoot.jpg

David is in a large martins and could have caught his foot on a hammock etc.
WOW mamarat!! David's foot isn't red but Jamz foot looks a lot like his.
I will stop the lasix and see if it helps.
If the swelling is still bad it has been suggested that I try pred in the am. Of course that also means baytril too.

SQ said:
David is in a large martins and could have caught his foot on a hammock etc.
WOW mamarat!! David's foot isn't red but Jamz foot looks a lot like his.
I will stop the lasix and see if it helps.
If the swelling is still bad it has been suggested that I try pred in the am. Of course that also means baytril too.

When did you give the metacam? Make sure there's at least 24 hours between. I have pushed that myself but it was with rats who had PT and were worsening fast.

I am hoping you will see an improvement tomorrow.

This was Sebbies' but it got much bigger than this...
poorsebfoot.jpg

David's foot was just as swollen this morning and red and purple ... gave him the pred and some baytril and rushed off to class.
Home now but haven't checked yet as everyone is sleeping.

SQ said:
David's foot looks horrible but the swelling has gone down a bit.
The pred is working. :joy:
Thanks so much for all your help!!

Great to hear!! Can you believe looking at his poor foot how well rats deal with an injury that would have us screaming crying, wailing and fainting at just the sight? They impress me. :D

That is a lot of pressure inside a poor foot, I am not surprised at the bruising.

But :joy: for the swelling going down, and it be a weight bearing limb again!! Its soo frightening to see feet like that. :cry:

Back