Swollen face :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rat.charmer

I came home today to Pip with one side of her face swollen. There's a bit of dried blood on her cheek; I think she got the bad end of a scuffle. She's grooming, not piloerected, but she's not eating the lab blocks (I have to feed her oatmeal). Her front teeth appear fine though I can't open her mouth to check inside. I'm thinking it's an hematoma - I can touch it and it doesn't cause her pain and she still bruxes and boggles when I cuddle her.

Is there anything I should be aware of, to keep an eye on or that I can give her?

I feel like an awful mommy :( :( :( :(

Don't feel bad, these things happen... If it's a hematoma, it should absorb eventually so no need to worry. Keep an eye on it, if the swelling gets worse, then it's off to the vet with her.

Yes, watch closely that it doesn't become a facial abscess. They're just hell :(

Hopefully Pip feels better soon.

Ugh yes, the smell, big time.

Scabbing will also be pretty apparent, somewhere, especially if it is a surface wound.

Lily had something very similar on her chin a little over a month ago. Her entire chin was swollen and it freaked me out and I had planned on a vet trip the next day. But when the next day came it was completely gone. I think it was one of Cordelia's little love nips. :giggle:

Back