Sweetening Meds

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bundyrats

Hi, well I finally did get some Baytril into Rosie yesterday and gosh you'd think the world was ending!! So much squealing and writhing. I was expecting her to fling herself on the floor, little fists pounding and cry out 'why me?' Thanks for the towel wrapping suggestion Jorats, it did help and so did the video, Hopefloats. Although Rose wasn't quite as obliging as the rattie in the video.

Anyway, usually after I give meds, I like to have a treat ready. I read here that dairy (yoghurt or ice cream) or Ensure is not appropriate because it binds with the antibiotics but what about Soy products?

And what does everyone else do? I was thinking of mixing some glucose in with the dose but because it's so small, I don't think it would work trying to get in in the syringe. I have dipped the tip in honey before but that can get a bit sticky if you miss.
I just hate having to squirt a gobful of horrible tasting liquid in their little mouths, especially Baytril, it's awful :(

That is so weird!!! Algernon LOVES baytril, wouldn't touch it at first (must've thought it was poisonous or something lol) but I got a little bit on his lip and he licked it off and then grabbed the syringe and chugged the rest. I never had a problem, but everyone else complains that their rats won't take it. Guess he's just a freak lol

MadamBelladonna, some Baytril comes presweetened so maybe you have that? Or your rat just loves to eat anything, haha.
I've been putting baby cereal, strawberry Nesquik, and a little bit of water in with my Rose's baytril. I usually have to syringe feed her (she has a headtilt), but she's a lot more accepting of it.

The issue with dairy is the calcium, iron, etc binds to the antibiotics. Most soy products are fortified, if you search the aisle though there is usually at least one brand that is not fortified. I personally have had better luck finding non-fortified rice and almond milk than soy milk, but there is sometimes soy milk that works.

And yeah, my meds are all pre-sweetened, and I've medicated so many rats, not a single one would just eat baytril. I wish!!

MelissaTayes said:
MadamBelladonna, some Baytril comes presweetened so maybe you have that? Or your rat just loves to eat anything, haha.
I've been putting baby cereal, strawberry Nesquik, and a little bit of water in with my Rose's baytril. I usually have to syringe feed her (she has a headtilt), but she's a lot more accepting of it.

I have no idea if it was or not...he still wouldn't take his pain meds though so I don't think the vet would give me one that's presweetened and one that isn't...wouldn't he just give me both sweetened (or neither)?

There's a thread on the forum that you might find helpful.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4656&hilit=stubborn

I don't know of any one thing that works for all rats. But this thread has a ton of suggestions of things that others have had some success with. Just as Dazzle said, though, it's best to steer clear of anything containing calcium as much as possible.

I think all of our rats were the most difficult rats in the world for taking meds. they HATED IT. Even the flavoured baytril, they would spit it right out. Tryed it Mixed in baby food, cake crumbs, syrup, Strawberry nesquick, icecream. I tryed EVERY combination that has ever been posted on this forum lmao.. they were little buggers! In the end I always had to pin them down and shove it in there mouth.. they hated me for it and I always felt so bad but they left me no choice! They only ones I got lucky with were my 2 females. I mixed their baytril in cake crumbs, they ate it every time.

You guys are lucky. I have to force feed EVERY time. There is no option to buy sweetened meds either. I heard they were 'trialing' some Banana flavoured Baytril in Brisbane. Ugh, things are so slow here for stuff like that.

Back