Sweet Sativa May 25, 2012 to October 06, 2014

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am truley sorry for your loss.
Their little lives are just too short.:heart:

Oh no, Trihkal! No. :(

At a loss for words here...Sativa was special to us...our special girl who was living out her retirement just like our Achilles. I am heartbroken. I know you are torn apart right now. I am so very sorry, Trihkal. Take your time, and when you are ready, you can post a memorial. Thinking of Sativa tonight. :redbud:

Thanks you guys. I have written something to honour Sativa. She deserves that.

Getting rats from SITH rattery was my dream since 2004 and in 2012 that dream came true. I could not have been more excited. I really wanted to improve my rat husbandry and spent months researching everything I could on the subject. I finally bought a critter nation and filled it with everything a rat could possibly want or need. On June 29 2012 we brought our girls home.

Sativa was the nicest rat I have ever owned. I say this often because it is so true. I have had many rats but no one, not even my heart rat, has earned this title more than Sativa. She had a huge personality. She was my rodentisit, my manicurist and my love bug. She would brux, boggle and kiss often. She loved her food and loved to nest. Sativa was beautiful from the inside out.

Sativa is the oldest rat we have ever had. As we all know their short lives can be hard to accept. I have had rats for a decade now but Sativa and her sister Chloe have forever changed the way I look at and treat my rats. It is because of them I truly believe it is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

Here is a poem I wrote the day Sativa passed away.

You are the nicest rat I have ever known
I do not say this simply because you were my own
You and your sister were my dream come true
My life changed the day I met you

You are gone but not forgotten now
And I have to find a way to carry on somehow
But you will remain in my heart forever
I could never forget the precious time we spent together
My love will be undying too
For I will love others in the memory of you

Oh Trihkal, that was such a beautiful poem! I know Sativa is at the bridge with all her friends and looking down at you, hearing that poem and smiling at you. She was indeed a truly special girl and I know that your descriptions of how loving and sweet she was can barely touch on all her wonderful aspects.

It was also nice to read about how you got Sativa. :)

Did you know that a long time ago, I sent an adoption application to SITH rattery? I ended up not adopting rats from SITH (I ended up getting our first two boys closer to home here in WA state), but I remember what a terrific rattery SITH was.

You DO honor Sativa, very much, by writing about how amazing and loving she was. Our sweet girl Sativa. She lived a very long and happy life with you and you will always have her with you.

Did she just pass away in her sleep or was it something else? If it is too hard to talk about right now, I completely understand. I told Achilles that his cousin Sativa left for the Bridge. Someday I know Achilles will join her, and his brother Maximus and I know the three of them will have many wonderful adventures together, not to mention all their other many friends that have gone to the Bridge.

I hope it makes you feel comforted knowing that Sativa is among friends right now at the Bridge and is happy and having wonderous num num banquets right now, with a big smile on her face.

I know she is very happy and grateful to you right now. I hope you can think of the happy things as you heal from this. Sending hugs to you...:cuddle:

Last edited:
Thank you Vladina! You're words mean so much.

I know that Sativa is with her sisters and cage mates now. The bridge is a wonderful place I was telling her all about. I know she is back in her prime again. She's feeling great and can enjoy life to the full extent again.

Sativa developed a tumor but the vet didn't feel she would make it through surgery. She also had a chronic URI that would cease and come back. We could see her quality of life diminishing and eventually made the decision to help her cross the bridge.

Sativa lived an incredible life. Aaron and I spoiled her because we knew how special she was.

When I first got rats I didn't even know there were rat rescues or breeders. I was very novice. I had just placed my son for adoption and needed something to love on. I was going to get a hamster but someone convinced me to get rats. I did but I was pretty turned off by their tails. (I find this funny now because I can't even remember why they bothered me haha) So I went to the only place I thought one could go which was a pet store. I named them Frank and Steve. It did NOT go well. Neither of them very interested in interacting with me at all. I could get them to come out if I stayed still enough. They were sick before we even purchased them. They were also very aggressive towards each other. Eventually they passed away despite my best efforts to get them well.

I didn't have regular access to a computer but just after purchasing them I spent a few hours trying to learn more about their care. This was when I read about how bad pet store rats were and that it was best to go to a breeder. I was living in Kelowna at the time and when I checked SITH rattery was the closest rattery.

Despite the awful experience I had with my first rats I somehow knew I was meant to have more. This was how adopting from SITH rattery became my dream. I had several rats before making it out to Vancouver but it was absolutely my dream come true when we finally made it there.

Chloe and Sativa were my dream. It's hard to believe they are gone now. They lived great lives full of love. Sativa was the last of my babies from out west. Now I have 4 little rat girls from Ontario. I was looking at them yesterday and it felt like we had done a complete circle. I'm raising them to be as awesome as their predecessors. Rats come and you spend a couple of years (hopefully) experiencing their magic but sadly they will eventually go.Some say this is why I shouldn't keep rats but I say at least I got to experience some magic.

Trihkal,

I can totally understand how it was best to leave Sativa alone with her tumor at her advanced age, absolutely. No one wants to put their baby through so much stress and uncertainty when they are well along in age. I am sure Sativa was very content to stay comfy and happy at home with you, appreciating every moment together.

I liked reading how you and Aaron spoiled her rotten because you knew what a very special girl she was. Same here with Achilles.

I am so sorry about her URI...I wish those would just leave our babies alone...URI's are just rotten. It happens to sooo many ratties. :(

I think you are absolutely right about how it is better to experience the magic, beauty and the joy of being a parent to these amazing furry bubs, rather than to try to avoid the pain of having them leave so soon, and not getting to experience it at all. I know everyone here at the Shack can relate to this 100 percent.

I am glad you are thinking about Sativa at the Bridge with her sisters (and adopted brothers) and knowing she is so happy and peaceful.

Sometimes when I get sad about one of my boys that have passed on to the Bridge, I imagine them scolding me and telling me not to cry or be sad. That always seems to cheer me up a bit.

I am sure people would love to see some photos of your sweet Sativa on the forum, when you are ready to do so, in your own time. Try to keep a smile on as you think about your very special girl, okay? Know that she is very happy and smiling down at you always. :flowers2:

Last edited:
Trihkal,

I can totally understand how it was best to leave Sativa alone with her tumor at her advanced age, absolutely. No one wants to put their baby through so much stress and uncertainty when they are well along in age. I am sure Sativa was very content to stay comfy and happy at home with you, appreciating every moment together.

I liked reading how you and Aaron spoiled her rotten because you knew what a very special girl she was. Same here with Achilles.

I am so sorry about her URI...I wish those would just leave our babies alone...URI's are just rotten. It happens to sooo many ratties. :(

I think you are absolutely right about how it is better to experience the magic, beauty and the joy of being a parent to these amazing furry bubs, rather than to try to avoid the pain of having them leave so soon, and not getting to experience it at all. I know everyone here at the Shack can relate to this 100 percent.

I am glad you are thinking about Sativa at the Bridge with her sisters (and adopted brothers) and knowing she is so happy and peaceful.

Sometimes when I get sad about one of my boys that have passed on to the Bridge, I imagine them scolding me and telling me not to cry or be sad. That always seems to cheer me up a bit.

I am sure people would love to see some photos of your sweet Sativa on the forum, when you are ready to do so, in your own time. Try to keep a smile on as you think about your very special girl, okay? Know that she is very happy and smiling down at you always. :flowers2:

I wanted to let you know I posted some pictures in my rattie thread of Sativa.

As sad as it was to lose her she had lived a great life and she was ready to be with her sisters and meet her new cousins. I can think of this amazing adventure known as her life and smile. She will always be special to me. I love you Sativa. I still think of you all the time.

Back