Sweet Nibs has lost her fight

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

violet976

7767379746_0c155060f8_z.jpg

My dearest girl, I fear I’ve not the words to capture you correctly, to express how such a tiny creature can leave such a monumental imprint in her wake, how the silence you left behind is simply heartbreaking. You were a flawed beauty in a body that was determined to break your spirit, eagerly fighting it off with such strength & zest for life as I’ve never seen.

7767468182_c88dcd25fc.jpg

Lovingly & acceptingly, you allowed my world to revolve around you. As a rat who was forced to play patient you were an absolute dream, eating medication like candy & enduring nebulizer treatments & my learning curve of shots with such a forgiving grace, always eager for love afterwards from the same hands that inflicted such horrors upon you. You tolerated the daily cage cleanings, numerous trips to the vet & the frequent disturbances from me to make sure that you were, indeed, truly doing better than you sounded.

7767383348_4366129480_z.jpg

& despite the above, you were always happy to approach each day, waking me most mornings & sometimes in the middle of the night, and always the first out of the cage & anxious for treats to stash. Every meal I had could be expected to have at least one visitor, every sewing day halted frequently for ratty breaks as you greeted me on the edge of the bed when I walked in for fabric. You were a full time presence with a full-steam ahead approach to life, & so when you finally refused food, and your favorite treats, there was simply no question that my strongest girl, my most stubborn soul, was finally ready to give up the fight.

7767357856_4c3fc93a01_z.jpg

& so we kept to the promise we made, so many times, during so many of your battles. I stayed with you until it was time, you leaning against my arm while I pet you & told you it was ok, that the hardest part was almost over. & then we piled in the car with each companion bundled by your side, final goodbyes to be had.

7767365328_de31d2a0e8_z.jpg

I hope, my sweet girl, that you left this world on your own terms, that I helped you find your way on your own time, not too soon, not too late. I hope that each decision I made for you was the right one, and that the life you had here with us was one without regrets. You lit up my life in so many ways, taking it over in full force as was your way. Because I’d take every hard part, every sadness along the way and do it all over again. For what you gave in return, I simply cannot put into words.​

*New arrivals Gizmo & Nibs. The day of their 6 hour drive from North Star Rescue in California*
6887102096_a977b7a0ef_z.jpg

*Intros with the boys*
7040003557_78abfcc17f_z.jpg

*A happy, though squabbling, family*
7767373998_3d5e1ab61e_z.jpg

*Always with a healthy appetite & desire to stash*
7767360778_dfb65210ea_z.jpg

*& how I'll remember her best: Always the eager, bright eyed greeter in her hammocks or on the bed* :heart:
7767358838_b7eaea1986_z.jpg

7767367826_96d5da53bf_z.jpg

...breathe easy, baby girl. Your poor body can hold you back no more. :heart:

I'm sorry... :hugs: This is a beautiful tribute to your girl. She obviously was truly loved and loved truly in return.

RIP little Nibs. Play hard at the Bridge.

thank you everyone. It's definitely strange not having her around, but I'm still thankful for the time that I was allowed to get to know her. She was a shining, energetic soul. & it's interesting to see the way her loss has affected her remaining companions. They all seem relatively ok, all things considered, but they've almost seemed to take on some of Nibs characteristics. They are sleeping in her hideys & hammocks which they never did. & Bosco & Gizmo, who rarely ventured out to the bed, are now eagerly coming out to greet me & greedily stash food, which was a Nibs trademark. Bosco used to simply take a piece and eat it, but now he's acting exactly like Nibs & just running back for more and more. & lastly, this morning sweet Gizmo greeted me on the bed to wake me, which she has rarely done before, & that is classic Nibs... except, well... Gizmo will bite your nose & face, which Nibs was kind enough never to do. :roll:

It's been very interesting indeed, but somehow they've all managed to make it feel a little less like Nibs has completely left us, and I'm very, very grateful for that. I'm sure it's all a fluke, or just how a normal colony reevaluates roles when they lose one, but it makes things a bit easier since Nibs is gone.

Back