Sweeney's Headtilt Progress

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenshae

Two weeks ago tomorrow, I noticed Sweeney had developed a head tilt. I got him into the vet a day and a half later for a shot of steroids and some antibiotics...today is the 11th day of baytril. I think he's doing better...but he's not exactly 100% and I'm not sure if he ever will be :sad3:

000_0010-1.jpg

He's got a nice energy level and seems to be *feeling* better than when I brought him in. He scuffles up to the cage door when I call him for his meds and grabs the syringe with both paws. He can climb on top of his nest box now, but can't jump off without doing a "barrel roll" when he hits the ground (luckily he has a short jump and a nice soft landing!). When I pick him up his tail helicopters like crazy (like if I was holding him on his back) and his eye is kind of bugged out and rolls like he's panicky....but he can sit up and groom himself now without falling over! :joy: He is losing muscle mass in his hind end though. Then again, not sure how old this guy is....I've had him for 20 months and he was at least 6 months old when I got him, although suspicion he's even older than that.

I got a little video footage of him scuttling around the kitchen floor so you could get an idea of how his coordination is....I've never had to deal with a head tilt situation...how bad is this?

((sorry for the shortness....my camera doesn't have a memory card so can only take 5 pics or 13 seconds of video at a time, very inconvenient. also sorry for my foot making a cameo on the scene))

He goes back on Friday to get re-dipped for the lice and looked over for more meds. Wish us luck! :heart:

Tarah's boy rattrap had a ear infection and hes got a head tilt going.
His ear infection is all gone, but he's going to have a head tilt for life, but he's completely fine.

My Joey ended up with a head tilt for life, but at a much younger age, and made it almost to 24 months - he was given steds and a shot of baytril at first too. He should just adjust to it hopefully, rats are really good at coping. :3

Back