Suspected renal failure and ibuprofen?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acetrainer

So I highly suspect now that's my sweet blue girl's kidneys are failing her. When you feel her belly you can feel hard unmovable masses inside her abdomen (and she puffs up and shudders when you touch it) as well as her being lethargic and dribbling more often and her paws and ears don't seem as pink as her siblings.
I gave her pumpkin puree to try and rule out constipation and the puree definantly came back out and the masses are still there.
The earliest vet apt I can get in my area with the vet who specializes in rats is next Tuesday and I'm really at a loss as to what to do.
I just want to make her comfortable and picked up some baby ibuprofen to give her, but then on further reading, read that giving this is ill advised.
Mostly my question is to use ibu or not to use ibu? She's uncomfortable and I'm not sure what else I can do for her at the moment. The other alternative is if using ibu is really not a good option, then to try and book with another vet and maybe get a diagnoses and possibly pain medication for her (but I'd much rather her see the good vet if possible, esp if she may end up having to leave me)

Do not use ibuprofen if you suspect it is her kidneys failing. If you must give something then Tylenol is the better option.

As for the hard masses my thoughts are one of two things. First, it could be a tumour which could affect her in a number of different ways. Second, it could be a urinary infection with blockage that could explain her just dribbling urine like that.

Please keep this thread updated.

Please phone them and tell them she is in pain and it is an emergency.
She really needs to see a good vet asap and can not wait a week

Depending upon what is wrong, she may need to be humanely put to sleep.
If so, you will need to make sure it is done properly as most vet do not know how to do it.
(rat is given gas/oxygen mix used for surgery, reflexes are tested, and once rat is unconscious to at least a surgical level, then the rats is injected, and kept unconscious until dead. A conscious rat should not be injected as it will cause great suffering)

Hopefully the vet will be able to help her and she will have lots of good quality time left
good luck

Last edited:
She does dribble, but she also does do full on pees- the hard masses are higher up than where her bladder is as well :( (closer to the ribs, more mid lumbar region)

Calling the vet in the morning for cancellations and I'm aware of the possibility she may need to be put down and that's why I want her to see this vet vs any other because he 100% knows how to do it right :(

I'll go with tylanol vs advil if it's easier on her system
She's still eating and drinking and interacting with her siblings and me so that's a positive

From your description she has internal.masses and they are possible pressing on organs. She hurts so I would use Advil over Tylenol. Tylenol is only good for pain and you have to give a ton of it. Advil is good for pain and inflammation and you use less to be effective. If you picked up.infant Advil then her dose would be 0.23 ml every 4-6 hours, if you got Children's use 0.46 ml. A vet visit is most important but internal masses are awful things. :(

I just wanted to show the difference in dosing with ibu and Tylenol using a 300 g rat for the example.

Children's Advil (20 mg/ml) 0.3 ml (1/2 that for infant ibu)
Children's Tylenol - 32 mg/ml - .1.9 ml (almost 2 full 1 ml syringes for the same effectiveness)

i wish i read this sooner :(
i ended up returning the advil for infant tylanol
and i called the vet and there is not chance to get an apt sooner than tuesday
literally every vet at the clinic is booked up

That is awful that your regular vet can not make room for an emergency, especially when it is a painful internal mass and she likely needs to be put to sleep immediately to prevent further suffering

Use the Tylenol if you must but i would advise switching to ibuprofen infant liquid as soon as you can. Especially if she is going to have to hold on until Tuesday. IF things get desperate and you are able, just show up in their lobby with her...most vet clinics fit in emergencies rather than appointments. You might have to wait a bit and they might act a bit annoyed because you are messing up their orderly day, but too freakin' bad :p

From your description she has internal.masses and they are possible pressing on organs. She hurts so I would use Advil over Tylenol. Tylenol is only good for pain and you have to give a ton of it. Advil is good for pain and inflammation and you use less to be effective. If you picked up.infant Advil then her dose would be 0.23 ml every 4-6 hours, if you got Children's use 0.46 ml. A vet visit is most important but internal masses are awful things. :(

0.23 for infant advil? (200mg/5mL)

She's dosed up with baby advil now and is still exploring and interacting with me and her siblings and eating and drinking ect so no major alarms

Back