Surgery... (update)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robinkwr

As always... I am nervous! I haven't had to go through a tumor removal surgery all the years I have been lovin' on rats. But the time has come. Lilith (aprox. 2yrs) is having a surgery on Monday. The vet said it will be very easy. The tumor isn't attached to anything, it actually grew its own sack outside of her body and isn't even attached to her body. It is / grew inside of the sack. He said he actually hasn't seen anything like it in all of his years (many, many years) and is interested in removing it.

I finally got it looked at for removal as the sack grew first and was small... but it finally grew the tumor in it and it has stretched out and caused her walking to become off and she drags it and steps on it, ect.

He said she got the over all heath check to go through surgery and is a-okay. But I am nervous! All I have every done is neuters... on young boys...

I will try to get a photo of it too - before she goes in on Monday to show you what I am talking about and see if anyone else has seen a tumor like this (that has grown its own sack).

It is scary. I had tumors removed from 3 on monday. My old girl had 3 large ones not attached and she has done fine. My old boy had one removed as well his 2nd one. Well wishes for your girl. It very scary.

Surgery is scary because there is always that risk, but it is a routine procedure. If your vet is confident, you should be too. Just be sure to give her a big kiss and a cuddle beforehand and she'll be all set to get rid of that pesty lump. You are doing the right thing for her.

So Monday is Lilith's surgery. She lives with two girls, who are a little over 1yr old. My vet will be closing the incision with wire like stitches. He said not staples but pretty much like staples. I was curious if I should keep her in a cage by herself for a few days for healing or is it okay for her to be kept in with her buddies? They aren't strongly bonded as they have been living together now for only about 5 weeks, but still...

Surgery went very well on Monday! The site is a bit bigger than I expected, but he had to do a little extra work it looks like. She is doing well, not even red. Hasn't even noticed her metal stitches. Hasn't even itched them or licked at them once. I feel so lucky, lol. Her roommates don't mind them either.

Back