Surgery day - AGAIN

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debbie

We have three girls going in for surgery today. Needless to say, I'll be a nervous wreck (I always am).

Momma Nammie (6 mo) and daughter Scout (4 mo) will be spayed today. Our new little girl Violet (1 1/2) will have two teeth extracted, and if time willing, she also has a couple of tumors.

Our vet is a master surgeon, so I have all the confidence in the world in him. But I am still a nervous rattie mom, and will worry about my baby girls.

If you all wouldn't mind sending a few good thoughts for Nammie, Scout and Violet....we'd sure appreciate it.

Unfortunately lately I know EXACTLY how you are feeling :( It is hard to wait for them to come home. You miss them and worry about them. It's worth it though!! You are a GREAT rattakiss mommy and they all know it!! :heart:

You guys are great!! Thanks so much!

My girls are the only surgeries today, so it's all about Us! I hope to hear they have all made it through surgery and are recovering....within the next few hours. Until then.....well, you know. :gaah:

Well, I just got the call from our vet. Thankfully, Nammie and Scout's spays went fine and both are waking up and doing well.

Unfortunately, poor Violet's tooth extractions did not go so smoothly. It actually took him 45 minutes, just to get one tooth. So he had to stop with that. Apparently, there's something wrong with both of the teeth in the first place (they are super thick and the roots go very deep) which made it more difficult. She also kept bleeding :sad3: as they worked on the tooth too.

Needless to say, he only trimmed the other tooth, but we'll be back for that removal within the next few weeks (and the tumor removals after that).

My poor little miss! :sad3:

I feel so bad for her, but I know it was necessary. I feel even worse that we'll have to put her through it again, to get the other tooth before it overgrows too....and then the tumors have to come off too. Hopefully, she will forgive us and soon realize we really are a good home and will treat her like a queen the rest of her days. But right now, I bet she's not so sure. :sad3:

Well, all three girls are back home and resting. We are about to start the Metacam Margaritas. :wink2:

Of course, Nammie and Scout are doing the "spay stretch", but are otherwise doing as well as can be expected. Poor girls.

As for Violet, she's doing well actually. She's alert, and is hungry. We have a nice bowl of A/D, babyfood and ensure, as well as a bowl with watermelon, scrambled egg, soy yogurt, peas and corn. She's scarfing it all down. We'll keep the dry food away for a few days to let the gum heal...but she seems to be doing quite well. I bet she's happy to get rid of that tooth.

The vet trimmed the upper, since he didn't have time to remove it (Violet started to have trouble breathing and they had to bring her up from the anestesia quickly), and we'll watch it over the next week. We are kind of hoping now that the lower is gone, she'll be able to grind the remaining lower incisor against the two top teeth and keep it from overgrowing. We are still planning the next extraction, but keeping our hopes up just the same. THEN, after we get her through that...we'll get those two tumors off. Poor girl.

And just incase anyone wants to see how LONG rat's teeth are, I took a picture of the tooth. Keep in mind that only half of the tooth was above the gum line. The other grows along their jaw. This is why removing teeth is no easy manner.

extraction1.jpg

extraction2.jpg

Poor Violet. I hope it goes better for her and your vet next time. I'm sure she will forgive you soon and that she is already appreciating all that food and TLC.

That's great news that Nammie and Scout are doing well after their speys.

Thought I'd give an update. Violet went in again today for her second surgery (along with our other girl Sally who had a fatty lump/lipoma removed) today. She had both the tumor on her chest, and on her side removed. The vet also looked in her mouth to see if she was going to need that upper tooth removed. His concern was since it didn't have the lower to grind against, it would keep growing....we had a feeling it would, and he confirmed that. :? He did trim the upper tooth, so it will buy her a few weeks to recoop from the tumor surgery.....then back she goes again for surgery. Thankfully, she breezed right through the surgery today, and both tumors came out quickly. Whew! Our other girl Sally, also did great.

So we have two fleece lined hospital carriers waiting, and both girls will be served nice soft, yummy foods with their Metacam Margaritas tonight.

Glad everything went well. :thumbup:

You and Violet are very fortunate.
I have not been able to find a vet in either Nova Scotia or New Brunswick that was willing to remove Toufir's upper tooth.

Back