Super Pet My First Home/how to wrap the cage(new)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilangel

i just got this cage for Milkshake and Luna and wondering has anyone had problems with them? the spacing looks a little wide(1" wide from bar to bar) also wondering how you guys measure the spacing for the bars is it from top bar to bottom bar or just the space where no bars is? its super big the cage i love the way it looks just scared they can get out :panic: my boyfriend does not want to chicken wire it as it does not look nice (its in are living room where people can see it) whats the max space for bars for rats do you think?

my rats are females too but not too small and not too big just like med sized. heres an idea of what they look like now.
Luna

Milkshake

http://www.ferret.com/item/super-pet-my ... or-xlarge/

Some petite females can go through that cage. But my sister had 13 rats live in a cage with that kind of bar spacing and none escaped. But... it's a chance you take. :(

Personally, I would err on the side of peace of mind, and cover the cage with hardware mesh.
I would rather them be safe and sound and not able to get out, than to have the cage look good....but then again i still have an intact male in the house so thats an entirely different ballgame i suppose...

ok so far so good they tryed to stick their heads out but can not so thats a good sign. :happydance:

but Skye can get her head out so i will not be putting all four together :wallbang: (tryed a test with Skye before testing with new guys) Skye and Maggie will stay together in their already cage and Luna and Milkshake will be staying in the superpet home unless i see something wrong i will sell it and buy another type.

thanks to all who posted :D

here's pictures of the cage with them in it:

in this picture thats as far as her nose goes on Luna(the berk)

A rat can fit it's entire body through any opening where it's head can fit through. They can literally flatten themselves out in order to squeeze through anything from 3/4" up, depending on the individual rat's size. The thing that makes some cages safer than others is how far apart the opposing bar spacing is. On cages like the SP, rabbit/guinea pig cages, and the FN, that spacing is quite large, often something like 3"-6". If a rat can stick their head through, their bodies will then have enough space to flatten and then squeeze out. Some cages are better than others about this, in that the bars don't bend. SP brand cages have notoriously bendy bars, which enables a rat to make a little more room if needed.

Personally, looking at the cage and the picture of your female with half of her head out of the bars, I wouldn't chance it. That's how far she can get her head out without really trying. If something catches her interest, I would say she could most likely get through the bars. Ultimately, it is your decision whether you're willing to take that chance or not. Several members have females that could get out of their cages, but feel that either their females won't try it or are willing to take the chance of it.

Wires (etc.) are also a danger .....
Just moved and discovered that someone had chewed the electrical cord for my fridge :doh:
Service tech. is coming on Tuesday :gaah:

I think you made the right decision.
happy0153.gif
Trust me, it's no fun having to constantly check a cage because your worried someone might get out.

yeah im glad in a way and sad for that cage hehe im going to try getting one like mine (hagen chinchilla cage) i know that one is safe and they all can not get out of that one the bar spacing on it is smaller. but thanks guys for helping me out.

this is not my rat but one of the New Zealand club members took photos of how her rat Angel got out. She was moved to another cage :)

step3internet.jpg

step3ainternet.jpg

aww thanks for posting that yeah im so way better safe then sorry.

but i wondered can people show me ex on their chicken wired cages? how do you wrap your cage up? just to give me an idea on if i were to wrap it up if it does not sell out. my last option is wrapping it and using it.

lilspaz68 said:
You don't use chicken wire, you will need to get hardware cloth. Others should let you know where to find it (home improvement stores?)

oh yeah im taking about the same thing hehe i just call it that since it pretty much looks like it :) i know i can get it here at Rona's i got some for my homemade cage.

Back