super pet my first home for exotics?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasmine08

I called my Petsmart 3x!!!! and I think they are all not so smart.... (small animal wise I mean). I asked if they had this cage in stock and shes like yeah its here it says my first home large. So I asked does it say exotics on the box and shes like no, but theres another one here with a guniea pig on it. :emb: I said no I'm looking for the one that says exotics on the box. Well how about one with a picture of a ferret she says. So I said nevermind and hung up. I then tried to order it from the website and it said it can't be delieved to my area. WTH? So I guess I need to go down to petsmart and look myself. Does anyone know if Petsmart sells this cage in store or only online. What other good pet store cages are there? She told me she had the big ferret nation cage, but i really don't want to go THAT big. I need to just go look, but I don't want to buy anything before I know whats good. I have three female rats. They are babies right now about 6/7 weeks so they can't have anything with huge spacing between the bars. I know you can only buy CN's online and that BITES!

I know the CN/FN's seem like a HUGE cage, and they are pretty big, but believe me, everything about them is worth it. I used to struggle so much doing cage cleanings when I had the "Rat Manor" with it's little doors, and heavy structure, but with this cage, and how the doors reveal the whole inside of the cage, it's wonderful. The ratties have plenty of room to move, and I have TONS of room to decorate. A lot of the time I just sit on the floor in front of the cage with the doors wide open, and lay half-way into the cage for jungle-gym time :p

Also, you should check Kijiji/Craigslist, search for cages. That's how a lot of people on here got AWESOME cages for pretty cheap, and it's how I got my FN.

I posted an ad on kijiji saying I was looking for a CN or FN. So far only one person has replied saying they could make me a nice cage out of glass LOL I will keep looking

If you're close to them, FTC (Flowertown Chinchilla) has both single & double CN's & you wouldn't have to order it online & have it shipped... I believe you could just buy it & pick it up. I'm not 100% sure on that though, maybe someone closer could confirm that.

Getting a cage off kijiji is always good though, too.
But if I were you, & you really want that cage from Petsmart, I'd go in to the store & see it for myself. :)

I despise Petsmart, over priced cages none of which are good for exotics and they don't know colors when it comes to rats.

I have a beautiful Siamese from there, never buying rats from there again, and they had Albino on the information. It was easy to tell she was not Albino.

Look at Craigslist, Kijiji and if you have one try Feeder Supply they are nice and most of the ones I go get all the animals from rescues or pet owners who can't find a home for a pet.

They also seem to be getting a lot more rat loving people so there is a little knowledge when it comes to exotics.

Jasmine08 said:
I called my Petsmart 3x!!!! and I think they are all not so smart.... (small animal wise I mean). I asked if they had this cage in stock and shes like yeah its here it says my first home large. So I asked does it say exotics on the box and shes like no, but theres another one here with a guniea pig on it. :emb: I said no I'm looking for the one that says exotics on the box. Well how about one with a picture of a ferret she says. So I said nevermind and hung up. I then tried to order it from the website and it said it can't be delieved to my area. WTH? So I guess I need to go down to petsmart and look myself. Does anyone know if Petsmart sells this cage in store or only online. What other good pet store cages are there? She told me she had the big ferret nation cage, but i really don't want to go THAT big. I need to just go look, but I don't want to buy anything before I know whats good. I have three female rats. They are babies right now about 6/7 weeks so they can't have anything with huge spacing between the bars. I know you can only buy CN's online and that BITES!

The Petsmart site is more of a representation of their US offerings and not their Canadian stock. Flowertown Chinchillas will ship anywhere in Canada for much cheaper than you'll get it from Petsmart - even if it is cheaper on the Petsmart site. If you live close enough to Flowertown, you can arrange to pick up and save the shipping fees. Some Global Pets will also order a CN for you if you like, it's worth a try if you have one around.

Like everyone else said, check out craigslist. And when I say check out, I mean go on there everyday to look, cause good cages get taken fast.

However I love it, it's where I got almost all of my cages. A big bunny cage for 30, a huge bird cage for free and now my DCN for 180. You just gotta have patients.

Or like they said, you can go the new route, but it will be more expensive

I do have the cage you are talking about, just not the exotic version, just the ferret version with the larger 1" spacing.
I have 4 of these cages and I'm really happy with them:
*they are very easy to clean
*very lightweight, can be moved around easily
*you can change the layout as you want
*extra parts are cheap and easy to find
*you can connect them with SP parts
*stores folded if you need to do that

here's what I did with mine:
DSCF1209.jpg

and right now, they are back to single units, so I had extra shelves to make full floors:
DSCF1379.jpg

DSCF1378.jpg

and to give you an idea of the scale, here's one where you can see rats in it...lol

DSCF1308.jpg

I've had other cages, larger and smaller and these are the ones I kept the longest.
In my opinion, they would be almost perfect if the shelves would be mesh/grids and the pan made of metal :)

thanks everyone. I just called global pet food and she is going to look into how much it would be to order a CN. I will keep checking kijiji and craigslist everyday though!
KScanuck did you buy that in petsmart or did you have to order them online. They look great! How much were they?

I would encourage you to buy used or from stores like flowertown that do not sell animals.
Please do not support pet stores and their cruel practices by buying anything from them.

The CN is a pretty good cage .... and has a good base size of 3 ft by 2 ft.
A large base is important, especially as rats age.

Thanks everyone I will just have to keep my eyes peeled unfortunatly that site does not ship to canada. I'm going to go see how much shipping is from flowertown

I agree with SQ, buying used should be your goal :)
and your wallet will thank you for it too.

but if you can't find anything in a timely manner, there are companies you can buy from, without encouraging pet sales.

Probably too late now, But i work at petsmart and we don't even carry the superpet exotics cage.We only had it once, and that was by accident from the warehouse.

our Global does, they have hamster, rats, fish and some lizards... Not very many though as they are just starting to expand

Jasmine08 said:
our Global does, they have hamster, rats, fish and some lizards... Not very many though as they are just starting to expand
Really?!?!? I always thought as a chain, they only sold pet supplies. That's disappointing.

they only had fish when it first opened, but our pet valu got rid of all their animals so the owners decided since we are in a small town and theres nowhere else to get small pets here they would have a big market for it and started it up

Back