Super dandruffy old man rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhapsody

Ferris is an old-as-dirt rattie (we're estimating around 3 years), and he's been neutered for the last 2/3rds of it. Over the past couple weeks, he's been shedding a whole lot of ... something. I'm assuming its dead skin - looks just like dandruff.

Uh, is there anything I can do to help him with this? He has been having trouble grooming thanks to full-blown HED, and I think its a major factor in the infection that formed near his manbits. Could it also be contributing to the dandruff?

Should I be bathing him, giving him some sort of nutritional supplement ... ?

Are you sure he doesn't have parasites?

Coconut oil is supposed to do wonders, either as a dietary supplement or topical moisturizer of both. I've found Booster very effective for skin issues but it's more expensive then coconut oil. Fish oil is another option. First I'd rule out parasites though, they could be contributing to his infection also.

Does it look like greasy scurf like RTR Malcolm had?

oct8Malcolmsbackprepick.jpg

Crusty dead looking stuff that's for sure... almost looks like dried puss becuase its hardened around parts of his fur it looks. I have no idea though sorry :( hope someone has seen this before

Hmm, I'm fairly sure its not parasites - the rest of his cagemates aren't exhibiting this problem. As for the infection near his willy, I think its because he's unable to clean it properly. Its already simmering down with epsom salt soaks and baytril.

The flakes aren't really greasy, and they aren't clumping in his fur like Malcolm's. They fly out from his fur when you pet him. Will try to get pictures later tonight.

I had a young male foster rat who shed a lot and also shed dead skin cells that looked just like dandruff to me.
he was neutered, but he was young.
I've never seen another rat like that, but he definitely seemed to need some Head n Shoulders shampoo :giggle:

I give my cats a bit of fish oil for their dry skin, maybe that will help your guy?
I hear rats literally only need a drop of the fish oil or flax oil or whatever oil you decide to use.

ETA: the magnesium in epsom salts is absorbed thru the skin, for most people, at least, this is a good thing- most people, esp as they age, don't get enough magnesium
but too much can cause loose stools or diarrhea, just something you might want to watch for, although I don't think a quick soak is going to make that big of a difference

is there any chance he's dehydrated? that could lead to dry skin, too, couldn't it?

Back