SUMMER July 10? '07 - Dec 25 '07

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fidget

My little Summer passed early Christmas morning :cry:

Her life was just too short, but she battled illness that I couldn't fix for just too much of it, and she earned her peace, as unfair as it is that it only came thru her passing.
I wish I had been able to help her, I look at her nekked sister Sumone and imagine what her life could have been and should have been and it breaks my heart.

She had quite a life in her early days - rescued in Oregon, then to Vancouver, she went thru a spay, then Maple Ridge, back to Vancouver and she and her sister Sumone became TV Stars :) - and on to me in Victoria on October 3.

She's the only one of my 6 who figured out how to come to my bed when their cage door was closed, and I would usually find her under the turned-down quilt - her favorite place.
She would run to me when she had a breathing attack, it kills me to think she trusted me to stop them, but it comforts me to think that she found comfort in my holding her.
We spent so much time together, the others had less because they couldn't be out when she was having her meds or special foods or ensure - life revolved around her and I believe she knew that, and how special & treasured she was. So while she suffered physically I know she was fulfilled emotionally.

She was an exceptionally sweet,gentle and affectionate little girl. While her sisters were running around getting into everything, and I can only hold them a short bit before they are raring to get down and run around, Summer was always content to curl up in my hands and be kissed to sleep or lay beside me and snuggle. I guess some was due to her illness, but I'm told she was always like that even before she came to me or got ill. Just an especially calm sweet-natured kid.

I miss having to check the bed for her before I sat on it - I miss finding her there. I miss the special closeness of her - my Summer Love.

October:
071024Summer1.jpg

071004Summer1a.jpg

071025SummerSumone1.jpg

November:
071116Summer3.jpg

071119Summer1.jpg

December - with Astoria
071202AstoriaSummer5.jpg

And Dec 24 with my brother & sister-in-law, just 16 hours before she passed:
071224xDaveSummer1.jpg

071224xDaveSummer3.jpg

071224xCarolSummer1.jpg

071224xCarolSummer4.jpg

And my very favorite picture of her - this is how I will always see her - my little angel, My Summer Love.
071208Summer01.jpg

Mommy will always love you, baby.

What a beautiful happy girl. "Mommy will make things all better!", and Mommy did as long as she could. Sadly those little bodies eventually wear out and even if the spirit is strong, the flesh is weak. :(

Play at the bridge you lovely little Pink Alien! :heart:

Thankyou.
We spent so much time together it's only right we were together at the end and we were - Summer was laying on my shoulder sleeping when I fell asleep about 3 am. I woke at 3:25 to find she'd crawled under my neck and had just passed, I believe she woke me as she left, I wish she's woken me sooner, but I'm so glad I was with her...

She was just a baby, not even 6 months old...
I'd done some reading and thought maybe she had a heart problem, I read that often goes hand in hand with respiratory problems, so perhaps the heart thing brought on the myco and the meds were helping that - but the heart problem wasn't addressed?
Does this sound plausible?
I was going to take her back to the vet after xmas and ask about that. You'd think the vet might have thought of it after 2 runs of meds didn't fix her?

Maybe I didn't do all I could :(

This is so sad! :cry: The beautiful and very clear pics of Summer really look like she was one happy rattie. It must have been so hard to lose her at Christmas time. Summer will be your Christmas angel forever. I'm so very sorry, Lauren. :roseopen:

I am so sorry to hear that she left you at such a young age. What a dear little inquisitive face she had! Such a loving nature. You gave her a wonderful memorial tribute.

She may very well have had a heart problem, to have been sick so young and not to have recovered with medication. Her life was destined to be short but, with you, she packed a whole lot into those few months.

No wonder that you will miss her. Take care of yourself.

Thankyou. Each one of you comforts me and honors Summer by recognizing her value and her life. Little as she was and little as her life was it's not got lost in the big importance of the the world, she touched you and you attest to that here and this is her memorial.

Back