Summer is ill

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
One of the 4 rats I rescued, the female feeder breeder (Summer) going as free snake food has a health issue we have not seen before.
She was spayed over a month ago and healed fine.

Summer has two swollen lumps above her clitoris. The vet thinks they are her preputial glands (clitorial glands). Her clitoris get blocked - sort of like a small, short penis plug and once it is removed she has a clear, sometimes smelly discharge. There is some bacteria in it, but no sign of infection.
Summer has been on multiple antibiotics for over 6 weeks. I don't understand why there would be a discharge as she is spayed ....

Anyone have any experience with this or ideas ..... The glands are so close to her ureter that surgery of any kind is too risky because of scar tissue forming. http://ratguide.com/breeding/anatomy/female_reproductive_system.php

Last edited:
My handicap bubs got that. It was a hard icky white thing by the time I found it. Like a penis plug but I was leaning towards a yeast infeciton. I dont know if they had lumps there but her momma gracie had the same thing in hers and she was spayed as well. I would wonder about treating it as a yeast infection. Turtles cleared up finally wth meds we were also bathing htem in an antibacterial and antifungal shampoo though.

Strange. One of my girls Tia had recurring abscesses in her abdomen close to her ureter. She would blow chunky green pus. (Quite impressive!). They would clear up and then recur in a different spot. We never did eliminate them and she lived with them for months. She was spayed when she was a wee one. She died from something unrelated, past the age of two.

Back