Sudden Respiratory Distress (with vids)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happi Wolf

Neyo has been perfectly healthy since he arrived. Yet late last night I found him in (what looked me) serious respiratory distress. He was fine an hour before. I recently switched to aspen in their cage, could this be it? I took it out anyway. He is not lethargic and is eating normally.

In this video clip you can really hear him in distress...
http://s319.photobucket.com/albums/mm477/Justrika/?action=view&current=DSCF0001.flv

This clip you can hear that he has stopped once I started petting him...That rattling noise is actually my stupid camera trying to focuse.
http://s319.photobucket.com/albums/mm477/Justrika/?action=view&current=DSCF0002.flv

The others can correct me I suppose but to me he sounds annoyed, not in distress. My Arthur sounds like that when he's looking for a treat and doesn't get one or if I'm paying attention to the "wrong" rat. Once I correct the problem that he's pissed about he's all better!

If he were gasping or his sides were heaving I would be concerned but I didn't see that.

He definitely is not gasping... but I'm not sure if it is him just being annoyed. Right now he is sleeping in the hammock and making that wheezing noise lightly. He has no porphyrin around his eyes or nose.

He's not in distress but has some nasal congestion. You can try benedryl, it helps on some rats. Also, I usually wait a couple of days before trying anything, if it persists or gets worse, then I'd get him some doxy from the vet.

Mumsy, I think I know the sound you mean, but this one is clearly nasal.

It can be just about anything. Stress is for sure the factor. Could be you vacuumed and this set him off, or a new bedding, new detergent, it can be anything.

I absolutely swear by echinachea! I give it to my rats when I suspect some stress or congestion issues and I use it for myself too. If I feel a cold coming on I take it right away and 9 times out of 10 the cold get stopped in its tracks!

When I give it to my rats I use the liquid children's echinachea. I put 1 or 2 drops on a small piece of bread. Once a day for 7 days. They gobble it down as a treat.
:thumbup:

Yesterday I was talking to the owner of the rescue I got them from and she recommended echinachea tablets. I went and bought some last night and gave Neyo half. Today he seems quite a bit better but that could also be because the Aspen is gone.

Happi Wolf said:
Yesterday I was talking to the owner of the rescue I got them from and she recommended echinachea tablets. I went and bought some last night and gave Neyo half. Today he seems quite a bit better but that could also be because the Aspen is gone.

hello i wondered about this as fancy sometimes has a similar sound to what your little one does and wondered about the echinacea tablets how do you give it? how many did you give it? how many days? is it safe to use? she is about a year old to what i was told.

It's definitely safe. I crush a tablet and mix it into warm baby food. I think giving it once a day for a week sounds good. Since Neyo hasn't cleared up he is on Baytril.

Happi Wolf said:
It's definitely safe. I crush a tablet and mix it into warm baby food. I think giving it once a day for a week sounds good. Since Neyo hasn't cleared up he is on Baytril.

aw thanks i am going to try the echinacea tablets first see if it will help her then and if not see other stuff. also the Baytril is only from the vet right? thanks a bunch for answering my questions and sorry to take over your post lol

also for the echinacea tablets i see on the internet they have different milligrams what one is good?

I bought the tablets from Trader Joe's. They are Echinacea & Goldenseal; 200mg Echinacea and 50mg Goldenseal root. I'm pretty sure you can only get Baytril from the vet, I got mine from the rescue though.

ok perfect i picked up some echinacea Jamieson brand(only kind i could fine :( ) it has 350mg each tablet. says fights off colds,flue, and respiratory infections seems like the right stuff. they did have Echinacea 150 mg with Ginseng but i did not know if the ginseng was good so i did not take that one. the ones i got though are capsules so i guess i have to use my head and use only a bit of the powder in it mixed with some yummy baby food. thanks again wolf i will try and update within a week see if it helped her at all :D

Back