Sudden (overnight) FRONT-END degeneration?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't look like a PT to me either. Perhaps he did injure himself. I doubt a stroke would present that way - mobility would typically be one-sided, not front-to-back.
Your poor little man. :(
That seems to be isolated to a very specific area of the spine. I think I would go for an x-ray at this point.

Went in to the vet today for a second opinion/check up. Put him on abs in case there is an abscess somewhere and buphrenorphine for any pain. We are to wean him off the dex since it's not doing anything, abs 2x daily, bup as needed for any pain. Said to continue the bromo for a few days as there are no side effects and it can't hurt (I only got 5 pills so might as well use them.)

Nothing is palpable (no tumors, swelling, breaks, etc.) So if it is a tumor it's very small and inside somewhere it can't be felt. Both vets thought X ray would not be helpful as it would be very hard to see such a tiny thing and couldn't do surgery even if it were big enough to see. Vet said sometimes they see abscesses spread to bone and would like to rule out some kind of weird abscess complication with the abs.

I do not know what might be wrong and I am very sorry that this happened,
however, if he can eat, is not in pain, and (hopefully) has at least 1 rattie friend
then he can live a good happy life with support from you and modifications to the cage etc

Here is a link to several ratties who were born with serious mobility issues .... http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33075&highlight=handicapped

Hopefloats can give you info re caring for handicapped ratties as she had a litter which had several ratties with serious mobility issues

Krinkle was euthanized this morning. CSU will be performing a necropsy. I will keep you updated on the results. I will pass along any condolences you have to Kyle. :(

:( I miss him. He was the friendliest, most outgoing little guy. And too young. :(

The doctor called and reported the preliminary findings. All internal organs were normal. Brain was normal. Nothing abnormal about the pituitary gland. The have removed his brainstem and spinal cord and are going to go through it slice by slice until they figure out what was wrong. The doctor working on this is married to the head of neurology (coincidentally) so they will be working together to figure this out.

My poor baby. I hope we can learn from your death. :(

DIAGNOSIS: Cervical vertebra (C2-C3): Invasive hemangioma with severe spinal cord compression.

REMARKS: Severe compression of the spinal cord by this invasive hemangioma is the cause of the reported neurologic abnormalities. This tumor was diagnosed as an invasive hemangioma, and not a hemangiosarcoma, based on the lack of cellular pleomorphism and minimal mitotic activity. The slide was additionally reviewed by Dr. Powers, who agreed with the diagnosis.

GROSS FINDINGS: A reportedly one-year-old intact male domestic rat was submitted for necropsy examination. The rat was in fair body condition and contained adequate amounts of subcutaneous and visceral adipose tissue. Tissue autolysis was mild. The mandibular incisors were overgrown. There was a 2 mm in diameter ulceration in the hard palate, just caudal to the maxillary incisors. The right side of the vertebral body of the second /third cervical vertebrae was locally extensively effaced by a poorly demarcated, firm, dark red mass. The mass invaded into the vertebral canal and severely compressed the associated spinal cord. The mass occupied approximately 80% of the vertebral canal. A complete postmortem examination was performed and no significant lesions were observed in the remaining tissues.

HISTOPATHOLOGY:

Slides 1-2.

Cervical spinal cord: Extending from the lateral aspect of the vertebral bodies of C 2/C3 (slide 2) was a poorly demarcated, locally invasive, unencapsulated mass. The mass was composed of multiple, variably sized erythrocyte -filled vascular spaces that were lined by a single layer of relatively well-differentiated endothelial cells and separated by variably thick fibrous septae admixed with trabeculae of woven bone. The endothelial cells contained fusiform nuclei with finely stippled chromatin and 0-1 small basophilic nucleoli. Mitoses were rare, and nuclear variation was minimal. A few of the vascular spaces were multifocally occluded by fibrin thrombi. Islands and trabeculae of reactive woven bone or dense fibrous tissue circumscribed the mass. The mass invaded into the vertebral canal and severely compressed the associated spinal cord. Approximately 60% of the spinal cord white matter was lost. Within the remaining regions of spinal cord, there were multifocal dilated myelin sheaths that were generally devoid of an axon or less frequently contained a spheroid. The cervical spinal cord cranial to the lesion (slide 1) contained scattered dilated myelin sheaths, spheroids, and digestion chambers within all funiculi.

Slide 3.

Thoracolumbar spinal cord: Similar lesions were observed as those described in slide 1, but were more prominent in the ventral and lateral funiculi.

Chad B. Frank, DVM, MS, DACVP

Prelim: 10/07/2015

Full Report: 10/08/2015 ljb

I'm glad you got an answer. I'm surprise your boy was functioning with the tumor that high. RIP sweet boy ♡♡

I'm glad you have an answer. It is always comforting to know you made the right choice to let him go. It sounds amazing that he could move at all with so much of his spinal cord affected.
Since you have the pathology report, it seems that this would be an ideal case to submit to Rat Guide to help other people and their rats in the future.
Thanks for letting us know. I'm sorry it was his time to leave...

I'm glad you have an answer. It is always comforting to know you made the right choice to let him go. It sounds amazing that he could move at all with so much of his spinal cord affected.
Since you have the pathology report, it seems that this would be an ideal case to submit to Rat Guide to help other people and their rats in the future.
Thanks for letting us know. I'm sorry it was his time to leave...

Fantastic suggestion. do you want me to contact Karen or Neil for you?

Back