Sudden Odd Jumping/Shrieking Behavior

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judyariel

Hi! I have two ratty girls, Claire (black Berkshire standard-ear) and June (agouti dumbo). They're about 5 months old, very friendly, affectionate, and well-behaved :) June is the bolder, more curious one, while Claire is more laid-back and cautious. Both of them are kissers :)
Claire and June, since I adopted them at about 2 months old, are very used to other people besides me. They go various places with me, and regularly interact with people aged 4-99.
Okay - so here's the sudden odd jumping/shrieking thing... and I've had pet rats for over 20 years now and have NEVER seen this behavior.
Claire and June accompanied me to a chorus rehearsal at the synagogue. (They have come to every chorus rehearsal there, and hang out on my shoulder while I play the piano. They also come to religious school with me, and the children love them!)
So after rehearsal, I'm sitting on a chair in the front of the sanctuary and the ratties are on my lap. As usual, a few people (who Claire and June know and like) gathered around and were petting the ratties, and quietly talking about their cuteness. :) There were no sudden moves made, and no sudden sounds. Out of the blue, Claire SHRIEKED, and started jumping furiously from my lap to the top of the chair, back to my lap again, like she was in a total panic. She just kept wildly jumping around - I couldn't stop her - and then she leaped to the floor and ran at top speed to the very back of the sanctuary, and hid behind a large piece of furniture. A friend and I managed to move it - and there was Claire, looking up at us, her nose covered in behind-the-furniture dust. She was her normal calm self. I picked her up with no problem, listened to her chest to hear if anything was wrong. All was well. I held her and she cuddled as usual. Since then (Wednesday night), she's been acting 100-percent normal.
Has anyone ever had an experience like that with a ratty? What could cause such behavior - utter panic over absolutely nothing? Should I take her to the vet?

Something terrified her
You are very fortunate that you did not lose her forever,
and that she was not injured

Going to new unfamiliar places is very stressful for rats and puts them at risk from many things
Please see https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/taking-rats-outdoors.34675/

But many do people choose to take their rats to places with them
Edit: I don't because I do not believe it is worth the risks, plus as prey animals, they are happier staying home

Last edited:
Thank you for responding, SQ. Yes, I am VERY fortunate I didn't lose her forever and that she wasn't injured.
My two rats have been to this particular environment (the synagogue's sanctuary) many, many, many times, so it is not at all unfamiliar to them. When Claire freaked out, out of nowhere, we'd already been in the room for about two hours. I just wish I knew what it was that scared her.

Back