SUDDEN breathing issues. Med advice needed.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegoldenrat

Hey there,
My baby rat who is just over 3 months old suddenly started making a ton of noise breathing. When I say sudden I mean, she was totally quiet all day and then later tonight i heard this loud crackling noise and it was my baby rat. I listened to her chest and it sounds like it MIGHT be coming from her nose more... But I'm not sure. The crackling is very VERY loud, I could hear it across the room. Her behavior seems fine and aside from the very loud breathing... She doesn't seem to be gasping for air . I want to treat this asap. I'm assuming it's Myco?
Since she is still young, I know baytril is not good for her. What I have in stock is Doxy and Zithromax. Does anyone have any suggestions of the best remedy using Doxy or Zithromax OR both??? I'm really worried... Poor thing.

Thanks so much!
-M.:cries::cries:

I had the same issue. For one rat, Clavamox worked great, and it is very safe for young ones. For the other one it didn't work worth a darn, and she is on Baytril, Doxy and Azithromycin. I didn't want to use it because she's young, but I needed something to work.

Azithromycin is not very effective by itself.
I would suggest azithromycin (10 mg/Ib) plus baytil, orally, twice a day, for at least 6 weeks if it is helping as this is an effective combo

Azithromycin is an antibiotic for babies and at over 3 months, baytil should be ok although it isn't recommended for under 4 months
Otherwise try clavamox as it may be a secondary infection (and they kill fast), but if not improving within 48 hours then try azithromycin (10 mg/Ib) + baytril

(not a vet, just based on years of experience)

Last edited:
Hi guys!
I forgot to ask.
Regarding Azithromycin, since I think I'm going to start there.

I know how to do concoctions with baytril, but I've never used Azithromycin before. Does anyone have any suggestions on how much to dose and how to concoct the "brew"?

When I do Baytril, I mix it with water and sweet caramel and they gobble it up. :) I remember hearing from someone that I would need to cut up the pill and grind it into powder. Here is what I have:

Azithromycin Tablet AZIVISTA 500

Rat age: 3 months
Rat WEIGHT: 10 Oz. (5/8th of a pound)

Thank you so much!
-M. :flowers:

OK rat weighs 284 g
I dose zithro at 10 mg/kg to start.
You can pull up 10 ml of your flavoured liquid (mix caramel syrup with water roughly half and half but with more syrup), then draw up your 10 ml to put in medicating bottle. If the tablet has a coating you should definitely crush it (mortar and pestle or pill crusher from drug store) then put in medicating bottle and let it meld for about 4 hours before using. If there's not coating then you can drop it whole into the bottle and let it dissolve.

This gives you 50 mg/ml zithro and your rat would get 0.06 cc twice a day :)

The dose for azithromycin is 5 mg/Ib to 15 mg/Ib, orally, twice a day for at least 6 weeks if it is working
Lilspaz68 starts with 5 mg/Ib
I find that 10 mg/Ib is very effective when given with baytil
That would be 0.13 cc if you follow lilspaz68's mixing instructions above

Hi Lilspaz68-
Thank you for this info! I have a few questions....sorry if I sound clueless....because I'm a beginner at self administering meds to rats... Thank you for being patient!
1. How much of the tablet do I crush? Do I crush the ENTIRE pill and then let it dissolve in 10 ml of caramel syrup/water mixture?
2. Regarding the caramel mixture....in theory would be it approx 6 ml of caramel mixed with 4 ml of water? OR 10 ml caramel & 10 ml water mixed together totaling to 20 ml of liquid?
3. Is .06 cc basically .06 ml? My syringe only measures in ml and drops.

Thanks so much!
-M.

Hi SQ!
I'm going to hold off on the Baytril and see if the Zithro on it's own works first since my little one is only 3 months old and I heard baytril isn't optimal for babies. :( If I do zithro on it's own, you think I should try .13 cc on it's own and if in a week there isn't any improvement, then add the Baytril?
Also, if I end up giving Baytril, can I give it at the same time when I give the Zithro? Or do they have to be given at separate times. ie: Zithro in the morn, Baytril late morn, Zithro at dinner, Baytril late at night?

Thanks so much!
-M.

The total amount of liquid should be 10 ml. What the ratio of water to syrup is, is up to your taste.
Use the entire tablet in the 10ml.
cc (cubic centimetre) is the same amount as a ml (millilitre).
So yes, 0.06cc = 0.06ml
And Lilspaz gave you the dose amount for 10mg/kg, so do NOT double the dose.
If you need to add the Baytril later on, it is fine to give it at the same time.

As for zithro, my vet always prescribes 10 mg/Ib, while lilspaz68 wrote that she starts at 10 mg/kg (approx. 5 mg/Ib)
as I mentioned, the range for azithromycin is 5 mg/Ib to 15 mg/Ib
Since your vet did not give you a dose it is your choice

If you give baytril as well, it is fine to give the meds at the same time.
Since it has been several days since you started the zithro, if she hasn't started to improve I would add the baytril
because the combo is much more effective

Hope she is feeling better

Last edited:
Back