Sucking sounds

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow Bean

I've noticed that a couple of my rats, Baby Girl and Brenna Boo, have been making sucking sounds. Baby Girl started it first, way back when we first got her, and I've only heard Brenna doing it from time to time. I think it usually happens while they are lying down. It sounds like... when you put your tongue against the roof of your mouth so the tip of your tongue is touching your teeth. Then suck air in until your tounge releases from the rof of your mouth. (hopefully that's a good description.) They seem perfectly healthy otherwise and baby Girl only does it when she's well, never when she is having respitory or prophyrin issues. What on earth is going on?

I've heard my girls making that noise before. You explained it very well! Most of the time, I've noticed they make that noise when the air's dry. Usually clears up after I run the humidifier. Sometimes it leads to a full on flare-up, though, so definitely keep an eye on the ones making the noise.

I'm *pretty* sure that the sound is coming from their mouths. I'm not sure though. I'll try to get a look/listen next time so I can let you know.

Hi -- Connected maybe to what some people describe as a soft "clicking" kind of sound? (This is after I've spent several minutes trying to replicate the sound with teeth and tongue and air :wink: ) or maybe hiccoughing? I think I've heard rats do this too; I associate it with a bit of respiratory irritation.

Oh now I'm very intrigued. I'm sure I must have heard this sound before but I just can't pinpoint it. Having gone through over 100 rats, I must have heard it. Anyone can record it?

Back