Sub for water

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lj

So, one the boys that I got from NS hasn't been drinking very well. Thought it might have been the water bottle, so I supplied a bowl as well. Well that's not it either. I've been giving him organic baby food (as it has more water than the pellets) as well as greens.

Does anyone think that this is stress related? Has anyone heard of a rattie that has stopped drinking water? I'm trying my darndest to keep this guy hydrated and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him other than the water bottle line is going down extremely slow (much slower than everyone else's).

Having groups of rats and rarely a lone individual, I have never been able to gauge properly if someone is drinking less than others. Unless they are unwell, and then I monitor it.
Maybe try adding a bit of a low sugar fruit juice to a bowl of water, or some fruit Pedialyte? Nice, fruity drinks are a favourite, so they should be more enthusiastic for them. If he refuses those, then I would maybe consider a health issue.
The other thing that comes to mind is teeth issues. Does everything look ok in his mouth? Maybe try giving him some flavoured liquids through a syringe and see if he has physical trouble drinking it.

You could also disolve lab blocks in boiling water, let them cool to a mush, add a few drops of olive oil. It will help keep him hydrated as full of water.

Do you give them tap water?
Or water without chlorine or floridide?

My first thought was also a teeth/mouth issue. Can you get a good look there? And see if you can feel any lumps or bumps around his mouth and face.

Yes have checked his skin. He is hydrated. He is one of the loners.

He is alone, so I can monitor him well.

I will look into his mouth as soon as I get home tonight. I don't think it's a mouth issue either because he will eat yoggies (but what rat won't). Perhaps a trip to the vet is in order for tomorrow.

lj said:
Can you mark an 8 oz waterbottle and see how much he drinks on average? Maybe he just drinks less?

I will test it with Hobo.
I checked his 16oz just now, which was changed and full about 24 hours ago, and it seemed like a lot was missing. I think it is because I had to squeeze it to get the tube in through his cage bars because it is tight.
I just replaced it with a full 8oz bottle, remind me tomorrow to check it.

He could just be less of a drinker.... I need to drink water all day, whereas my best friend only drinks the miniature cans of pop and after two hours still will not have finished it....

So long as he's staying hydrated, as moon said, he may just not be that big of a drinker. Also, the fruits and veggies you give him contain a good bit of water, so that is supplementing his actual intake.

His mouth looks good. I'm going to move him to a more private part of the house. Maybe all the comotion is still bothering him.

He did drink more last night and even took two pieces of food from me and stashed them in his igloo. :)

Sweet thanks for that Vanessa. Some do drink more than others.

He is drinking now at full force. Must have ESP or something. He knew we were talking about him, so he started to drink more. GAH.

Its just like when something is wrong and you take them to teh vet, but as soon as the vet is there, whatever was wrong stops, and you look silly for bringing them in!

Back