Stuffing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lj

So, I've been wanting to make some sort of fluffy bed/hidey hole for my rats but am not sure what type of stuffing is safe to use. I don't know if I can use the regular stuff that you'd buy at WalMart, etc. Or if I need to fill it with something "special".

Anyone?

Thanks,

Give me some material, Monkey will shred it and make it into stuffing for you overnight. :doh:

Seriously, though - what kind of stuffing were you looking for? Would thin strips of material work? Fleece, or cotton, or flannel. Then it could still be washable. Or you could maybe use the nesting stuff you can buy for smaller rodents...but then you'd have to take it out and change it, I think, or it would get stinky.

I'm thinking of making those little bed things that are round, like a cup? I'll use fleece, flannel, jean, whatever. I don't know how to describe it. They are like dog/ferret/cat cups that they can all pile in and sleep. Just thought I'd need to fill it with stuffing and I'm not sure if I can just buy a bag at WalMart and use that stuff or if I have to get some "special" kind.

Know what you mean about shreding. Mine would do that too. :eek:)

I guess you mean the cuddle cups?

Does Kat make something like that on her site? I know someone does, who you could probably ask.

I don't know why you wouldn't be able to use the typical stuffing, seeing as the ratties typically chew but not ingest.

I'm thinking for your purposes try getting the stuffing that is in denser sheets, as opposed to the fluff that you'd put in a teddy bear. Might help keep the shape of the sides better (and would be less lumpy?)

I do make cuddle cups, Moon.

If those are what you're looking to make, you could - technically - use the bag of stuffing. It will lump up when you wash it, and it'll be a big mess if they open the cup up. Think of a stuffed toy ripping a seam, pretty much the same idea.

You would want to look for batting, which comes in sheets or rolls.

Back