Stuck in a cycle of antibiotics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrendaLee

My five ratties have been stuck in this cycle of antibiotics for a while, and I'd really like to get them out of it. They get typical URI symptoms that respond quickly and well to clavamox. I've tried various course lengths, and even after a 3-4 week course, they're better for a couple or few weeks, then it's back again. I'm going to try a 6-week course this time around.

I'm assuming if they respond well to clavamox that it's probably a secondary infection, or am I wrong in thinking that? Often, their symptoms clear up after a day of clavamox, aside from one girl who's had a sneeze since I brought her home. Nothing has cleared that up, not even a long course of baytril/doxy (which they hate).

Thoughts/recommendations? I give probiotics following their antibiotic course. What else can I do? Is there anything else? We've just added some air-purifying plants to the room, the window is being left open more with the warm weather, and their bedding is changed every 2-4 days.

I don't like doing clavamox long term...I do use Baytril and zithro regularly. In fact, I've got a couple on long term baytril, I'm taking 6 months and it's keeping them clear for now. As soon as I stop, they become sick again so Clive and Marguerite are going to be on it forever.
I did once have a rat have severe respiratory infections and after 4 months of Baytril was completely cleared and healthy.

Clavamox is just not the best respiratory drug there is. You could possibly combine it with baytril and get a good hard-hitting combo that might finally work though.

how sick do they get when they relapse?

for resp. infections or myco flareups, I always give antibiotics for 6 weeks.

Like Jorats, I have found the baytril + azithromycin (10 mg/Ib) orally, twice a day to be an effective combo

Back