Stubborn...Mites?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanya

Rat Enthusiast
So I have 7 week old babies that should be going to their new homes...except just last week they started losing hair in random patches, with scabs underneath them. Everyone has them except for mom and my other rats. I have a cage split in half with boys on bottom and mom on top with girls, and yes it is very secure, so no more babies! I tried an olive oil bath/dawn soap bath and then I put kitten revolution last week. Patches keep popping up. :cuss: They are on aspen bedding, but all my other rats are on the same bedding and only babies have this. Is there another skin condition I'm missing? I also have Ivermectin if need be. Let me know if you need pics

Looks kind of like mites to me but nobody else has them except for the babies. There are patches of hair missing with scabs underneath. Everyone is on the same bedding. Might just be coincidence but the blue Berkshire babies have it more than the hooded babies...Revolution put on about a week ago

That definitely looks like mites. I've heard of some mites being very stubborn and ivermectin might be the way to go. I'll wait for Lilspaz's input, she's got more experience with this.

Yeah hopefully she will chime in. I am going to the vets on Thursday for one of my girls with a mammary tumor so I'll ask him when I go. I just feel bad, they're losing a lot of hair fast.

Looks kind of like mites to me but nobody else has them except for the babies. There are patches of hair missing with scabs underneath. Everyone is on the same bedding. Might just be coincidence but the blue Berkshire babies have it more than the hooded babies...Revolution put on about a week ago

I was just reading this earlier, it doesn't give any advice but it does mention Blue rats having more sensitive skin

http://www.afrma.org/bluerat.htm

Quote: " One other thing to be aware of when breeding Blues is their predisposition to skin problems. Some seem to be particularly sensitive to even small amounts of fat/protein in their diet, and they end up with really bad scabs."

Hmmm. Have you given ALL the rats in the house revolution? I think you're supposed to treat all your rats even if they don't show symptoms. Something about certain rats' immune systems being able to fight them off mostly, but the mites are still present without causing symptoms. I'm really not an expert, but I figure it's good to make sure they all got some revo

@Petunia: That's odd, my blue boy Matteo had skin problems as well.
@fumblesquid: All the rats were treated at the same time :)
@lilspaz68: They are dry and not really fresh and kind of flaky. It's not like the other mite infestations I've seen so I'm a little confused. The blue babies have 2x more scabs as the hooded as well. Mama is still clear and she is with the female babies. Other rats are 100% fine. I've attached a picture of one of the male babies. As you can see the patch has spread out a little bit, and this is on the back of the rat. There are almost no 'scabs' or missing fur on the back of the neck or the base of the tail.

Back