Good for you for trying! Lilspaz may have better I'm put, but the metacam may not be strong enough to reduce the swelling enough. I don't know. I've only dealt with one ear infection in the 20+ rats I've had. I only used the steroid and antibiotic. But if you switch, there's a time period you'd need to wait between them, but I'm pretty sure the antibiotics would start to work in that time, so I'm sure the metacam will do. I had both, but went straight to the steroid, since it's pretty strong and I wanted to reduce swelling asap. Hope she gets better soon. It's a helpless feeling to see our babies that way. Hang in there!