Stretching & sunken sides but NOT post op. Gas? Tumor? Help!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is she on pain meds now?

how bad are her owwies?

This is Goliath after his neuter

goli-owwiestretchapr11.jpg

Aura showing an extreme one after her e-spay

Owwwweeeeee.jpg

Every day is different. There were a few days where her stretches were extreme. For the past few days, they are not as bad. And today, I haven't noticed her do an owie stretch yet.
She is not on pain meds right now. I have to go to the vet tomorrow to pick up Metacam (spelling?).
I read somewhere I could give her ibuprofen....but I wouldn't know how much to give.

thegoldenrat said:
Every day is different. There were a few days where her stretches were extreme. For the past few days, they are not as bad. And today, I haven't noticed her do an owie stretch yet.
She is not on pain meds right now. I have to go to the vet tomorrow to pick up Metacam (spelling?).
I read somewhere I could give her ibuprofen....but I wouldn't know how much to give.

if you can pick up infant liquid ibuprofen (very handy to keep in the cupboard) especially if you can find Advil grape-flavoured (ras love it) and give me an approximate weight, I can give you a dosage.

I will do that!
her weight: 300 grams

By the way, I hear controversial stories about Metacam. My doctor is prescribing it to her for pain and inflammation...but it's making me nervous.
Also, I'm thinking of getting ensure, baby food, soy powder, etc... for her to mix/soak with lab blocks to try to get her to eat a more balanced diet. Is that a good idea? I'm not sure how to get her to drink more though...

Metacam is safe and well-tolerated by rats...I have used it a LOT. Ibu is not as safe but she needs something until you get the metacam.

Did you get the infant liquid ibuprofen or the childrens? Different concentrations

for the infant her dose would be .15cc every 4-6 hous (this is dosing at 20 mg/kg where the range is 10-30 mg/kg)

for the childrens it would be twice as much - .3 cc every 4-6 hours.

Back