Streaker RIP 01/21/2014 to 11/04/2015

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure - I'm at work so I'll rush home and give him tramadol before flushing. The flushing is painful - sometimes he cries. I left the e-collar off, so I hope he left it alone. He doesn't seem to mess with it much. I'm more worried about him eating the silvadine. He's been through so much the poor guy.

He seems a bit better. Chest is still rattling, but not as much. I gave him tramadol about 30 minutes before flushing, but it still hurt him. Afterwards I wrapped him in gauze wrap so he'd keep the silvadine on for awhile while I held him. Then he got a small amount of mac n' cheese for dinner - don't judge me!!! Perhaps we'll give him some play time with his brothers tomorrow since he's now separated from them so they leave his wound alone.

Your poor man should have all the treats he wants! It's all about quality of life so he needs something to look forward to. Do you find his brothers bother him? My rats never seem to mess with another's wound/surgery.

Your poor man should have all the treats he wants! It's all about quality of life so he needs something to look forward to. Do you find his brothers bother him? My rats never seem to mess with another's wound/surgery.
They always mess with each other and I don't want them fighting. Weighed him today he is still 417 so no gain no loss - yay. Lungs sounds much better today

He's not doing good. Not sure what we're going to do. Although it doesn't look too bad today he has moments of breathing difficulty, usually after flushing and/or medications. He's lost some weight (less than 10 grams). He had an oreo cookie yesterday - he ate the filling first. The other abscess he had where the tumor flesh piece came out of is forming again too.

Streaker is doing amazing. Vet didn't recognize him! He has gotten through the infection and against all odds it is healing nicely! He only lost 4 grams, but is now back with his brothers and eating nicely. He'll be on antibiotics another week. The small abscess he has now is stitches coming out.

His abscesses are still not gone, but he's eating and interacting more with his brothers again. Will have to get more antibiotics tomorrow from the vet since he is just about out.

EDIT: He now has an abscess next to his winky, probably because the large abscess has closed so now it has moved downward... Aggh... Why can't the poor boy just live with his cancer without the other crap...?

Last edited:
My boy didn't let me down and shared the love - he peed on the vet too when she looked at his new abscess... I warned her. He is now on flagyl for a couple weeks. He is definitely acting more like himself and has a good appetite.

Poor boy has tumors popping up everywhere, but they don't seem to bother him. Although along the line of tumors his skin is turning bluish/purple as if its bruised. His urine is also a rusty/orange color now. I know this since he pees on me everytime I clean a plug or squeeze that small abscess by his winky. He is still so full of life though with a great appetite!!! I'm sure he probably needs more water intake do to urine color, he drinks, but probably not enough. He also breathes heavy at times, but tumors are in his chest area.

The skin looks as if it is necrotic ( dead ) in several places. This may be due to either infection and/or poor blood supply due to underlying pressure. In either case it is hard to believe that the animal is not suffering from severe pain. It is extremely sad to see. My opinions come from my training and experience as a MD

The skin looks as if it is necrotic ( dead ) in several places. This may be due to either infection and/or poor blood supply due to underlying pressure. In either case it is hard to believe that the animal is not suffering from severe pain. It is extremely sad to see. My opinions come from my training and experience as a MD

OMG, Yes that abscess was necrotic and painful. He was sedated, and it was cleaned out. He was put on chlorpalm, tramadol, metacam, maitake, nova-something flushes, silvadene cream, and helix cream.... We had him in to see the vet I believe on day three of the abscess. That is cleared up now. We were given the choice to put him down while she was debriding it, but choose to give him one week. One week later we had him on the table and she actually said "Who is that?" He made major progress when no one thought he would pull through. Sorry for the confusion as those are early posts. His problem is that he has aggressive cancer and the tumors have started to appear this week very rapidly. He was doing good since his surgery, other than that abscess. I'm concerned about the color his skin is turning where the tumors are appearing.

These aren't the best photos. The long scratch/scab is from another abscess he had recently from the stitches - they are still coming through. You can also see the little scab left from the large abscess - looks worse than it is. Its the bluish color along his side where the small tumors (bumps) you can see popping up that I'm concerned about and his vet will not be back in the office until tomorrow. He is currently on flagyl, metacam, and maitake

Streaker passed away last night. RIP our sweet boy. You fought strong and hard our brave little man. Mommy and Daddy love you and will miss you! Run and play with Birney I'm sure he was waiting for you. ♡♡

Last edited:
Back