steam shark to clean cages

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twitch

i picked up a steam shark at a flea market just recently and decided to give it a go on the cat cage that i covered in hardware cloth. because of the cloth it made cleaning the bars next to impossible and the cage after 1 year of use started to hold the odor rather badly. i had no desire to rip off and replace the hardware cloth (and currently not enough money to do so anyway) so i took the steam shark to it. it was a breeze on the coated bars. the gunk just melted away! it would have only taken a few minutes to do had the cage not been covered. the mesh was a bit harder to get clean and took the most time, but i would say it helped me get about 95% of the gunk off the bugger! which is a huge improvement. the cage still retains some odor, its likely been absorbed into the mesh, but it is worlds better then what it was and i may be able to push another 6 months out of the mesh, maybe a bit more using this shark. hopefully by which time i will be able to get my hands on the rat nation and i can be free of the hardware cloth!

anyway, i thought i would share. if you have a shark lying around or can get your hands on one it will make the deep cleaning dread a thing of the past. no having to lug the big cage outside, no scrubbing involved and even helps to clean the dreaded mesh making it last just a bit longer before having to replace the bugger. the steam shark is the way to go for a good and easy deep clean!

I bought one about a year ago and was disappointed in it. It was very awkward and didn't clean my cages any better than I would normally. Glad you had a better experience with it, I guess it depends on what you use it for. I only used mine twice and then put it away to collect dust.

I too have been struggling with the fact that the external covering is not getting completely cleaned. I think I may also try the steaming, not for my entire cage but for the wire grids attached to the cage. :nod:

it boils water and under pressure releases the steam to clean stuff. i've only tried the steam shark so i don't know if other steamers would work the same way or not.

Back