Spinal nerve degeneration

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronwyn

To those who've had a rat with spinal nerve degeneration, how did you care for your rat and how long did you wait until euthanasia?

I was thinking of removing the top floor of the FN but worried that would make the cage too crowded for four rats. On the other hand I'm not sure it's best for her to live alone in a single floor cage which isn't big enough for two.

Edit: I'm aware quality of life is the determining factor but since her deterioration came out of left field I'd like to brace myself with a ballpark of how long she has.

Edit2: Cityratt advised that I remove the ladder which so far seems to have helped. Just need to pin the blanket down. Thanks! ; )

Hi Bron!!!

I'm sorry one of your sweeties has this.
My Pascal has been living with total rear end paralysis for about 6 months now. He's still got good quality of life. He loves his cuddles and loves to chow down. Since I have several rats go over 2.5 - 3 years, it's quite common for me, I'm quite used to it and just give them that extra care.

Mine usually live for many months. Asha has it now, just be prepared that you may need to bathe and help them groom etc...in the beginning a helping hand they can lean on is often all they need.

The only time I was getting close to considering euthanasia because of the paralysis was with Faline, BUT she had a head tilt as well, and she was very weak in her forequarters...

Sebastian had hind end degen for 10 months before he was pts at 38 months :)

I've had a few who had that, and they all lived for many months afterwards. I just lowered the ramps. Edith was amazing the way she'd haul herself around with her front paws. Tia died very soon after her back legs weakened, but she almost certainly had PT.

Thank you for the feedback!
I'm relieved to read so many cases of rats that manage to live decent lives with a few adjustments on the owner's end.
Since Brie's death, Elphie battled for alpha status but I noticed a breathing problem (inconsistent) start up a few days ago and just had antibiotics made up today. I was absolutely horrified to come home to a rat that seemed weak and couldn't walk without fumbling on her back end.

However, after completely freaking out and breaking down into tears, calling my vet for the third time today (she had left unfortunately for the day), I noticed Elphie improved as she walked on the carpeted floor, like she wasn't as stiff. She has moments of energy where she motors around the room but naps frequently. I've been watching her since 5 - when I discovered this. Her grooming attempts are very laboured and calculated.

Oddly enough what's alarmed me the most is she climbed onto my lap while I was on the phone and curled up and fell asleep. She hasn't done that once in her life. Losing Elphie will be very, very difficult. I cared for Brie like any other animal, but Elphie was a connection at first sight sort of rat.

Thank you for your feedback, it does help, even if there's not much I can do but bond even closer to help her out. Can I ask how we know if it's PT or spinal nerve degeneration? I merely assumed the latter.

For PT there should be other symptoms: confusion, knuckling, not grasping food, going in circles. If she has some of these then it might very well be PT. :(

She's all good otherwise, just weight loss and very inconsistent sounds while breathing...I haven't heard a peep in a couple of days now.

I moved the second floor to the lowest notch which seems to be working out for everyone. I also put in an extra fleece blanket so they don't fuss with the one that covers the tray, and so she has better grip. The water bottle is lower as well. Anything else I might have missed?

One of my housemates took a photo of Elphie sleeping on my lap last night which I haven't seen yet but will be sure to post it.

Back