Speaking of cages...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
I've noticed at Petsmart, some cages have changed... for the better. The one Chinchilla cage has smaller bars, perfect for rats, even young ones and the red and white cage has changed as well. It is now designed like the 680, but with two doors in the front. It's still only 14" deep though. But for 2 rats, it would be perfect. Now it all depends how well the coating stays on. That was one of the main concerns with that cage.

They are an obsession for me too. I love the SuperPet cages but I am always scoping for new cage manufacturers.
I found that some cages look good, but my main complaint is just how flimsy they end up being. I know everyone wants them to be able to be broken down for storage purposes, but that often means that they lack sturdiness when put together. I have a couple that have been given to me and I have them put together with so many cable ties that my fingers almost bled putting them together.
Cages are really improving on a whole, though.

I am SO SO SO hoping that Midwest will make a Rat Nation. FNs are pretty wonderful already, but if the spacing were a bit smaller.... if the side panels were made removeable for those of us who want to join two cages side by side.... if the bottom pan were a little deeper....

I have great cages (FNs and a 695), but I can't help looking at any new cage that comes along.

Jo, I took another look at the red and white cage, and it's made so much better now, it used to be so flimsy and held together with c rings, and now it's construction is more like the super pet ones, and the outer bars are way thicker than they were.

I'm thinking the coating would stay on that one much better.

Don't know which chinchilla one you're talking about, though. Have to look into it the next time I go.

Back