Spay day...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minnow

Is tomorrow for my new PEW girls (Periwinkle, Sienna, Lilac, and Wisp), and Wednesday for Kiwi and Sparta. I'm a nervous mama, but looking forward to the reduced tumor risk for my babies. The only operable intact girl left (I have quite a few that can't go through surgery safely too) will be Millie, and if all goes well I'll be saving up for her spay too. Even though it's torture to wait for the 'she's awake and ready to go home' phone call.

Did I mention I'm a nervous mama?

Any and all good vibey thoughts for my babies are/will be appreciated.

good luck to the babies and hugs to the mama !

i kno where u are coming from ..i am beginning the process of neutering my 5 boys over the coming months .. :hugs:

I hear you loud and clear as it was only 2 months ago I went through this with 6 of my girls. Positive thinking......they will be fine and much better off in the long run. :hugs:

Everyone's spayed and back home, and Kiwi is minus one inguinal tumor as well. Yay! Now I can breathe, and get set for the critical first week of healing. They're all getting Metacam and preventative abx for the week to help smooth the process. Now I just need some margaritas to help smooth the process for *me*. :laugh4:

If everyone heals without vet-requiring incident, I have just enough saved back to get Millie spayed next. Then I'm done with spays for a while, until another little girl comes tugging at my heartstrings. And I can intro boys to these girls without having to worry about babies while their tubes flush out. :joy:

I should get some pictures - Dr. Susan is really getting good with making everything look neat and tidy even though it's so tiny. I think I'll give 'em a couple days to be less sore.

All is not well...

I seem to have really bad luck with girls who chew themselves open... I lost Sparta to this, and nearly lost Kiwi as well. In the past, I had Mimsy pull external sutures and staples, and I've had several girls come unglued. So what do I do for future spays? After Kiwi's emergency surgery, the vet I took her to (not my usual vet but still rat savvy) used metal sutures and trimmed her teeth to the extent that she can't pull them out... is teeth trimming a good idea for this? I know it doesn't hurt if done right, and soft foods aren't a problem for me to prepare... I just don't want to lose my babies because they feel the need to chew on those itchy internal sutures. I guess I mostly want to know if there's a reason *not* to do this, if it can save a life.

This is really bizarre that all your girls chew out their stitches all the time.
Could the vet not be using the right kind of pain meds? Have asked your vet for opinions on this?

They all get Metacam, but... that may not be enough for the first few days? I plan on talking with my vet about how we might be able to prevent chewing in future, but she's not back until Monday. The odd thing is that the chewing doesn't start until the owwie stretches are over.

Do I just have really bad luck? I don't want to have to avoid spaying my girls because they're chewers.

jorats said:
This is really bizarre that all your girls chew out their stitches all the time.
Could the vet not be using the right kind of pain meds? Have asked your vet for opinions on this?

hey i've not got much advice but i don't think it's bizaree, 3 of my girls also ripped their stitches out and one had massive hole in her side from it. it was restitched, we tried making a sock just to fit around her body leaving her arms out, tried a collar... but neither worked, she could get them off and they really stressed her. in the end we had to watch her 23/7 - literally. luckily i had help with that so i'm not sure if it's something you could do

It's bizarre for me because out of 60+ spays and over 30 other surgeries not once did we have chewers. But that could be attributed to my vet.

Back