Sores on front feet and bad skin.. Amazing Update!! 30/July

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryelle

:sad3:
It all started here: http://www.jorats.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10252&start=0
Sid just doesn't seem to be doing so well lately :sad3:

The last i wrote about his scabs, I'd tried giving Sid some of Patricks baytril (lower dose) and it worked a treat. Two nights ago i got out my boy and the skin on his sides had a kind of red rash. He spent the whole night itching himself (his cage kept rocking on the bedside table and it kept me awake). I knew immediately i was back at square one. Today he was red 'spots' and scabs all over his body again.

I got home today and he was sat looking at me. I tried to get him to come outside and he came to the door for a second then went to the back and started scratching his neck and sides. He doesn't look like he is in pain, but just by looking at him you can tell it is annoying the hell out of him. I bathed him, because i have no idea what else to do, and it seems to relieve the itching for atleast a day. He has had a lot of dry skin aswell, which i tried oil on and he hated it (im trying to feed him it every day now to cause less stress)

He has lost a lot of muscle mass lately. You can feel every bump in his spine, and the joints in his shoulders and his hips. He has kept weight on him though. Im concerned about the muscle mass.

I think he has bumblefoot developing on one of his ankles. It seemed rather puffy the other day but there wasnt the visible sore and rough skin that there was last time he developed it. Im keeping a very close eye on it.
Sores have started to develop on the top of his front feet (his left is very red, and the right has a small sore developing). Its something ive never seen before or heard of (can bumblefoot develop on the top of the front feet???? I know bumblefoot is more of a pressure sore...)

I have some cream that i am going to try on his front feet. Anybody know what i can use to relieve the itching??? I cant bare to see that look on his face when his neck is red raw and he can't move his back legs enough to itch it. Ive heard Aloe Vera can help relieve skin conditions, but i don't know if it would leave him all sticky (ive never used it before). Or... if there is any medicated shampoo i could try (ofc id have to find UK equivelent) that would be gentle enough for rattys. I think i may have to take him to the vet, but until i can do that he needs some relief :sad3: AND im not even sure if the vet would be able to help

(P.S he has been treated for mites)

Almost sounds like some time of allergies. Can you bring him back to the vet and ask to try prednisone and Baytril again? Bumblefoot is usually only on the underside of the foot, never on top.

I know that Lilspaz has had rats with complex skin diseases, esp Pyoderma.

I hope that he doesn't have something systemic. When a whole lot of things go wrong in a short time period, and there doesn't seem to be an explanation, then the vet will need to consider something more complex. I once had a friend who had been the picture of fitness & health. She suddenly started having all sorts of health problems, and about a year later was diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. ONce that was treated the other problems stopped occurring.

Sorry guys ive had a lot on lately.

The sores on Sids front feet have scapped and shrunk. Im applying cream to them so i hope it fixes it.

I haven't had the cash to take Sid to the vets yet (only get money once a fortnight). I did have a brainwave this morning though. Im wondering if its the detergent i've been using to wash the hammocks and fleece liners in his cage Oo - It's not rare for people to have allergys to washing powder's

Ive just mentioned it to my mum and she said she will pick up some stuff thats soft enough to wash baby clothes with tomorrow and see if it helps any

It won't cure the problem but an oatmeal bath might give him so temporary relief. It worked wonders for me when I had a pregnancy rash.

Been to the vets! I LOVE THAT VET LADY!! I've never seen her there before, but she loved the boys. She cuddled Sid the whole time while he licked her arms to death.
She agreed that it isn't parasitic (if thats the right word.. she said he doesnt have mites/lice/fleas). She has given me some hypoallergenic, antibacterial dog shampoo called Etiderm. It makes Sid smell of wet dog :sick2:

I am to bath him once or twice a week and see if it helps to relieve him any. I am also picking up some oil capsules tomorrow that she said were supplements for dogs and cats. She said that the dose is hard to work out, but to pierce a capsule and put a few drops in his dinner.

So! here goes another try ^^

*fingers crossed*

That's wonderful!! One thing though to keep in mind with the capsules, if they are very high in fat/protein, it might make his skin condition worst so keep an eye on it when you do give it. Hopefully it will make him have better skin and smoother coat.
What's the name of the supplement?

Im not sure. She didn't have any at that practise, she said she would have to get them from the main practise (where Patrick is going for surgery) in Middlesbrough, and send them over to my town tomorrow.

The name will be written on the receipt i get, and if not, i will ask them to write it down. Depending on what's actually in it i can decide how much to give. Might only be 1 drop in a bowl of baby cereal and Complan.

Ill let you know tomorrow ^^

Ive just picked up these capsule's from the vets.
They are called Viacutan 500mg - and i've been given 4. The only thing i can find online is the product info:
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=344
Essential fatty acids are nutrients which cannot be made in the body and have to be provided in the diet; they are essential for the formation of new cells and to keep the skin in good condition.

Viacutan uses the GLA (gamma linolenic acid) essential fatty acid and is a balanced combination of plant and fish oils. This provides a very high level of biologically active GLA and is used as a dietary supplement to help skin conditions the skin in dogs and cats.

Viacutan administration: 1-2 capsules/10kg bodyweight once daily for a minimum of 1 month.

Available in smaller 40 x 500mg capsule box or large 300 capsule box.

The label the vet has put on the box says "give 2 drops of oil from inside the capsule once a day for a few weeks".
Do you think 2 will be ok or should i just give 1? I asked the vet (a different one that was there today) how long a capsule will last once ive pierced it, and she said she wasnt sure and to keep it in the fridge.

Try the two. If they have a reaction, it will go away once it's stopped.
It sounds pretty much like the supplement we gave here, fatty acids. But we had to stop due to dermal irritation.

Wahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Sid has pretty much zero scabs on his sides now! His tail is looking pretty smart too! The scab on his tummy that looks like it belong to an old abscess is still there and refusing to go. It isn't any worse or any better. He has a few 'dry' patches on his belly and just behind his ears.

PICS PICS PICS!!!!!!!!!!!

He was FAST coming out of his cage, so i will show you his happy face while he chows down on some Weetabix while i photographed him (id just restrained him to take a look at his toes and he wasn't happy :( ) LOL@ his whiskers
2009_0729Sidian0004.jpg

2009_0729Sidian0006.jpg

Right Side (look at that hair regrowth!! :D )
2009_0729Sidian0016.jpg

2009_0729Sidian0012.jpg

Left Side:
2009_0729Sidian0018.jpg

Tail:
2009_0729Sidian0015.jpg

I am stressing about his toes though. His nails are horrendous and i am terrified to clip them because i made him bleed last time.
This is how he walks:
2009_0729Sidian0021.jpg

:(
and a close up of his claws (best i could do). He feet look awful
2009_0729Sidian0023.jpg

Should i find someone else that can clip them well?

Just nip the ends off...thats what I did for Valora and her toes and feet were curled like that too. Don't try to "cut" them, just take off the hook that may catch on things.

He's gorgeous! :heart:

ok :D i will nip the ends. I have found that the blood vessel and soft tissue inside the nail has grown quite far down it the less he wears them down.

He still runs when he wants too, and is actually getting faster with age O.O :)

Just take off the tip then, you'll get more comfortable and confident as well. If you are really worried he'll move, you could cover the nail with your fingers and only leave the tip to be cut exposed.

I used to be SO confident trimming nails, until Sid's started growing really thick and bizarre and i made him bleed that time - he squeaked his head off and i felt sick with guilt. I almost have anxiety attacks when i think about doing his nails. Now if it was Patrick, i wouldn't have a problem

Back