Soon-to-be lone male rattie...need advice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruxxy

As some of you might already know, my older boy Lyric has been battling with a recurring facial absess for the past few months. It went away for a bit after I took him to the vet and she drained it, but now another hard absess has formed in a different spot close to the original one and I can't afford the 400$ to have it removed....the meds (baytril and doxy) and daily treatment are doing nothing anymore other than making him miserable. So I've decided I'm just going to keep him on baytril until its time to get him pts. It could be a week, or it could be 2 months...I've never had to deal with absesses before this so I have no idea how long he will be able to go.

So now his brother Attakis is going to be alone. They have been together ever since they were separated from the rest of the litter so they are deeply bonded to one another. I can already tell Attakis will go into a deep depression without Lyric, and I have no idea what to do for him. He's not really into human interaction the way my other rats are...he's kind of a strange rat. So whats the best way to handle this? The possibility of introducing another younger male has crossed my mind but Attakis can be very tense and I don't know how well he would take to another male.

Sorry I can't offer any advice, that is a hard one..... but I hope everything works out good...
I feel very sorry that you will lose Lyric...it is so hard to make those decisions.........

You know you rats the best so if you feel that he can handle having a new friend give it a go but please be prepared for another cage if things take longer that you expect.

If you are going to intro another male i would get another boy ASAP and start intros as soon as possible so a bond can start to form before you have to take your other boy to be PTS.

I am very sorry that medication is not helping.

Aimee

Is the abcess still small? You should be able to remove it yourself & then it's just a matter of putting antiboitic ointment on the spot and keeping it clean for a few days. I do it all the time and they always heal up very nicely. And his being on Baytril will help the healing also.

How old is Attakis? Most of the time the adult males take to babies fairly well because they don't see them as a threat. I've done it many times and it's only gone badly once. Eventually the babies might end up picking on an old boy but that's something that can be dealt with if it happens.

I wouldn't say the absess is small. Its medium size I guess. The thing is, its growing fast and I don't even know if it is really an absess anymore. Its a hard mass and its impossible to get anything out....the other absess was more squishy and possible to get the pus out by squeezing it. I've done hot-compressions with a wet cloth, washed it out with warm water and salt and its not doing anything anymore. :cry:

I've gotten advice from other people including my vet and they all said it won't go away without getting it surgicaly removed.

Maybe you could get two baby boys, let them be together, do the quarantine time etc. When that's over do some intros. If Lyric doesn't take well to them, leave them separate until he passes (sorry :( )

Is Lyric on meds for this?
Once my Lex (rip) had a huge lump on his face. My vet was sure it was a malignant tumour and wanted to go in surgically but I wanted to try out meds first. He was put on Novotrimel, an excellent med for abscess infections, after 2 weeks it completely disappeared.

Jo, its nasty. Its more like Sebbie's lump that abscessed.

Lyric has a bite below his ear from his brother (from months ago), there was a hard spot underneath and then below that was the abscess where all the pus was draining to. :(

These recent pics are from the Health Section.

absess3.jpg

LyricAbsess.jpg

170.jpg

The abscess we cleaned out was more on his cheek and has healed up nicely but that spot where it was hard didn't feel right to me :(

Back