Something very peculiar seen at the SPCA...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My husband fit plexiglass bottoms on all 3 levels and made plexiglass sides (about 2" high). He also put plexiglass around the opening on the top level. With the plexiglass in the bottom, it stops the metal base from heating up as I put a heating pad down to keep them warm in the winter. :D

Ya, I kinda like him. I tell him what I need and 99.9% of the time he comes up with a solution. (that works)
When would you like him? I'll box him up and send him UPS. :D

are the sides attached to the bottoms? Do you have any better pictures? Can you ask him if it was hard to work with the plexiglass and what thickness he used? I'm forming an idea in my head about a similar cage I have...

digitalangel said:
are the sides attached to the bottoms? Do you have any better pictures? Can you ask him if it was hard to work with the plexiglass and what thickness he used? I'm forming an idea in my head about a similar cage I have...
I hope you know imperial because I'm old and don't do metric! The plexiglass is 1/16". The sides go behind the little white strip and the bottom slides into the white strip. You need a special knife to score the plexiglass first so you have a guide line. Once its cut you do have to smooth the area that has been cut and I believe he did this with a file.
The end result is fantastic, I can use bedding, its easy to clean and I never worry about bumblefoot.
This is the top level. It gives you an idea of how high the sides are. Notice he has left a small space at the top landing so the mice can grab the wire and pull themselves up otherwise they would slip on the plexiglass.
IMG_M0131.jpg

In this picture you can see how he cut it around the door opening. Its also a good picture of the white strips used to hold the plexiglass in place. (the minute you open the door they all want to come out!)
IMG_M0057.jpg

This last picture shows you all 3 areas. The sides, bottom and the white strip. This is the middle level. You can see where a small strip of plexi has been added between the 2 staircases to stop the bedding from falling to the bottom.
IMG_M0043.jpg

Hope this helps and if you need better pictures, let me know and I will try again. (Mice are to active at night!)

did he make the white pans too?

oh, I just realized its a piece of plexi on the bottom then white strips along the side plexi to hold it up?

The plexi on the bottom and the side both slide into that white strip. I believe its some kind of edging for shelving but I can find out for sure if need be.

that is a VERY neat trick and your hubby is very inventive hehe I will have to go to the hardware store now and poke around. I guess since its mice and plexi can be very very thin but I wonder if you could do something similar with the cn..

Oh, he made me pans for that too. :D SEE
IMG_R0069.jpg

and he made it so I could attach stairs for them.
IMG_R0070.jpg

Any thing else you need? :giggle:

This tread made me have a dream last night that I had a mouse in each of my rat cages. :giggle: One of the rats would move, and bam! there's a mouse underneath.

So now that your thread has be totally :threadjacked: :wasnt: we all want to know from you Rodentist whatca been thinkin? :D
or LJ maybe just maybe your inner brain is telling you something :mouse1np1: :hug4:

I think I should check with the vet tomorrow, and then see about getting them a special house, and that we should probably go get them before something bad happens. Like I said...there is no way they will fit in with either of my colonies, so if someone wants the weird trio....we can make it happen!

Catherine

Back