Something may be wrong? Help question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

September555

Ok...I just got the girls out to let them play. They both played like normal and actued fine. I put them back in and gave them each a treat like nomral. Daisy...my grey and white one started making this noise. Not the happy grind noise...a noise I have never heard either one of them make before ever. It seems to do it when she is breathing..I picked her up and she did it alot then stopped. I put her back in and she did it some...then came up to the door and looked at me...and was smelling me and kissing at me....and I didnt hear it...but then she started walking around and stuff and it started doing it alot...fast and slow. It sounds like it is coming from her nose..yet not. It is a noise like...you know how you get a drink from McDonalds...and you take the straw and slide it up and down real fast and the noise it makes against the lid....that noise? It is like that noise...but fast and quick....ohh uhh ohh uhh ohh uhh like that...like that noise that straw makes against the lid. I of course am freaking out...I lost my last rat to respiratory infections...and now I am thinking oh no. Please someone tell me this is just a mate or in heat thing....or something simple. The vet ers around here that are open at nigth are totally stupid...so that is not an option for me. I can take her first thing in the AM to my vet...she doesnt work with rats much, but said she will. She said if I knew of a medicine that works she would be happy to give it to me. I dont know of any other vets that sees rats...the one I took my Emma to before she died was clueless. So I dont know. I am praying one of you tell me this is a in heat thing or something silly and not that she may be sick with something. Help!!! Oh..and by the way she is eating and drinking fine...acting fine, was running and playing and all.

Thanks Paula

Thank you Jo. I have been watching her alot the last hour and it is increasing. Monkey noises is what it does sound like....you were right on. I listened more and it sounds deep...I hear her cough I guess a couple of times and it souns raspy. So...is this like a cold? Or respiratory disease? Thank you for the med thing. I just printed it out and am taking it to my vet first thing in the AM. Would it be best for just baytril alone? Nothing else with it? Baytril is like the ammoxicillian of cat and dog world so to speak...kind of a like a catch all for common sicknesses?

I would assume she will give me the liquid of the Baytril, easier to give to Daisy. So in case she does not know...what about the delution of it? Doesn't it need to be deluted or mixed with something? Or just straight. I don't know if she will know this, or if it says for sure on the link you told me to print out, so wanted to ask so when I do go in there, I know what I am talking about and wont have to guess at anything.

I feel bad for her..I hope she isn't suffering any until the morning. :cry: I remember when Emma got sick...she went through alot before she passed.

I wished they could tell us what hurts.

Thanks again Paula

I don't think she's at the point of suffering yet. My Sebbie does these noises, he's been doing it on and off for quite a few months now, he's also on and off baytril.
The Baytril that my vet gets is already compounded. The vet can order it in a variety of flavours. Ours prefer the traditional strawberry flavoured one. But many people here get it in pill form as I believe it's cheaper to get the pills, cut it up and mix it in something yummy.

Thanks again Jo. She isnt doing it this morning...maybe it happened more when she was running around...maybe it brought out what she has. Not taking any chances tho....I have an appointment at 9:15 here with my vet to look at her. My vet isn't specialized in rats...but said she can do general care. I know vet questions are not really appropriate here...just advice from the been there done that gang. So...if she does give me baytril for Daisy....do you have an idea of how long I should give it to her. You said one of yours does it off and on...how long do you run the dose for and how many times a day? Will her sister get what she has since they are in the same cage and would I need to give the medication to Bailey as well?

Again I know your not a vet...and all you can do is give "advice" but like I mentioned...my vet can just do basics with the rats...she is pretty much listening to what I tell her I need for this...so asking "advice" from someone who obviously dealt with this more times than you can count. I know alot of you guys on here have had dozens of rats over the years...and great experience on what works best.

I am happy MY vet is looking at her...I trust her...she just doenst specialize in "pocket pets' so she may only know basic stuff she was taught to do with small animals like that. The last rat I had I took her to a vet that specialized in rats and small animals...he was one big fruit loop. He had NO idea what he was doing with her. So I would rather take her to my vet and get the basics..who probably knows more than the fruit loop and then get advice from the board here on details. I just want to make sure all bases are covered with Emma.

Thanks again. Paula

Ok..back from the vets. Vet seemed to know alot more than I thought. She said she sounded good, and looked good...heart great and lungs sounded clear. She went ahead and gave her a shot and sent me home with Baytril. Except the baytril is in pill form. She didnt have the deluted liquid. So...now I know I can crush the pill up and put it in something....but what? My first guess would be plain yogurt....is that ok? I know yogurt isnt the best for ratties...but do get by with the meds.....will plain yogurt work okay or is there something else? I start the baytril tomorrow. It is baytril tablets...22.7 mg. She cut them in 1/8 of a tablet. Oh..and she weights 300. Thanks again!

Paula

Flavoured yoghut (soy or dairy) hides the taste of the meds better. The quantitiy of yoghurt you'll be giving her really won't cause any health concerns. Hope your rattie gets better and stops making those monkey noises.

Dairy products are ok with Baytril. Interactions or contraindications just say antacids containing Magnesium, Calcium, and Aluminum will prevent absorption.
(and for anyone who doesn't know - yogurt is beneficial to give with antibiotics to stave off side-effects like diarrhea. If an antibiotic should not be given with dairy then yogurt or acidophilus should still be given - but a couple hours before of after)

Thanks again....I am using vanilla yogurt...and I have not seen diariah at all. The last rat I had, I gave her baytril (liquid) and she had diarah so bad it scared me. So I do see the difference. Thanks

Paula

Back