something like vomiting???

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agy

I know rats can't be sick but two days ago I found one of my boys looking very poorly. didn't want to move much and didn't want food (he normally eats everything). he looked very unwell and didn't open his eyes much. there was something coming out of his mouth like sick. he also kept looking like he wanted to be sick in terms of his body movements. I tried to massage him in case something was lodged in his throat. i picked him up for a bit and that seemed to help a little. a bit later he started picking up a bit and even trying a bit of food. by next day he was totally fine again. any ideas what this was? he is the hammock chewer but he also chews through plastic toys!! I don't think he normally eats them!

That sounds like a classic choke episode. Rats use a retching motion and copious amounts of saliva to break up and bring up a stuck food item. What were you feeding prior to this? Sticky foods like bread, rice, peanut butter, and even lab blocks for greedy rats can cause choke. Its best to just let them work through it and most clear it on their own without any interference.

None of those. He only had rat pellets at the time. The saliva looked thick and white. I felt so bad for him. He looked awful. He is very greedy tho. He even steals from him mate when I give them a treat each.

Back