Something caught in her throat?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratatat

Lily was happening exploring my room when all of a sudden she just stopped and started making this gurgling type of noise... I looked over to find her bobbing her head as if she was about to throw up but she didn't. She still has that weird gurgling sound going on as if there is something caught in her throat. She doesn't seem to be showing any pain, but I'm just worried that there is something caught in her throat and what I can do to either get it out or figure out what exactly she's doing.

Thanks in advance. :)

Does she sometimes push her ears back?
If she's choking, there's not much you can do or should do. She'll work it out on her own. If it takes too long or if it looks like she can't breathe properly, you'll have to bring her to a vet.

One of my boys had something similar happen once. He stole a piece of his brother's food which is much large than what he normally eats (Mazuri vs. Oxbow). He instantly started clawing at his mouth. We put him back in the cage and he layed there drooling and not moving much. I was terrified! We kept a close eye on him and after a few more minutes whatever it was he was able to work it out and within the hour was back to normal. We were a little nervous to let him go back on solid food right away, so we mashed up Oxbow with water and a raspberry to make sure he was ok.

I hope everything turns out well and your rattie is ok. :)

Back