Someones got the runs...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scythe

I walked into my room just now, ready to go to bed, and I went to check on the boys like I do every night. And I had just put in a new cube earlier, hoping they'd have figured out a way to get into it since it was at an awkward spot. No sign anyone had been in it, but rather, on top of it -- there was smeared rat poop across the top of the cube. And I thought, "...That's weird." I was confused but not concerned until I pulled out their litter pan to empty it since it was starting to smell.

And someones had the runs in that, too.

I checked all their bottoms to make sure, and I can't really tell who it was. Roy's bottom is dirty, but the lights are dim and it's dark out so I can't tell for sure.

Is there a chance it's something in their diet I'm giving them that's going this? I switched them from Extrusion to Regal rat the other day, they get half-cheerios for treats when im trying to teach them tricks, and every other day they get half of one of those carrot nutro crunchy treat things. And now and then they get carrot mush as their veggie.

I'm keeping an eye out for dehydration, but I'm not sure what else I should do. I cleaned up and changed their litter and everything to keep an eye out and see if it happens again. What could be causing it? Is there anything I can do?

It may have to do with changing their blocks. You can switch back to half the old stuff half new to ease the transition. You can also give them probiotics, like yogurt or Bio-K+ (my girls get diarrhea when they take antibiotics and it always helps), also I know banana and plain rice both help when my stomach's upset. As long as they aren't dehydrated and the diarrhea doesn't continue for an extended period of time (another day or so) or get worse, I wouldn't be overly worried.

A quick and easy treatment for the runs is soda crackers. unsalted, if you only have salted, lick it off.
Any rats on meds? That can cause runny poops too.

Back