So frustrated - need advice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shhtephanie

I am soooo upset!!!
A while back all 4 of my boys had lice really bad (covered in scabs, faces completely scratched up, missing little patches of fur).
I had them all treated with Ivermectin? they each had a needle every 10 days (6 or 7 needles each) and then all was fine.
I have been soooo careful with freezing the yesterday's news and freezing the aspen for days before I use them, and keeping everything super clean for them. When I was playing with them today I noticed that 2 of them have scabs all over their faces again and the 3rd has 1 little scab by his whiskers, 4th I can't see anything on him. The only thing I don't freeze is their Harlan...could it be that???

I don't know what to do!..I am going to be moving soon and can barely afford that let alone doing a bunch of shots again and having it not work/lice come back..plus I don't wanna put them all through that again :(

Do I get rid of them??...I love my boys so much but I am so frustrated with this and been so busy I can't even play with them often enough to notice this before it got really bad again...would they be better off with someone else?

Any advice is appreciated :gaah:

Order Revolution online to treat them with...much easier on them and your pocketbook. Can you take a pic of the boy with facial scabs? There might be something else going on, like someone biting at heads, or even a skin infection.

You are freezing bedding for 24 hours, you are not handling your rats after handling someone else's? Doubtful to be the harlan. Could you have wild rats nearby?

Oh wild rats could carry them eek that is if you have them, and they might even be in the carpet possibly? Who knows for sure :( but ya defiently try Revolution

yes, freezing all bedding...don't handle any other rats...and definitely no wild rats around...wish I knew how this happened a 2nd time :gaah:

where online can I order it??

Doesn't matter, it's all the same product. Cat/kitten/puppy Revolution is half the concentration of dog Revolution (60 mg/kg vs. 120 mg/kg) and each different type has a different volume of medication in each vile (see descriptions). If your careful, you can draw out the medication into a syringe (the kind with a needle) and use the syringe both to carefully measure and to store unused portions. Otherwise, it evaporates really quickly.

**** Note: You do not inject Revolution, just put it on the skin. I suggest the syringe only because it's the easiest way I've found to prevent evaporation.

If you only have a few rats and aren't splitting the package with someone else, a three pack of kitten or cat Revolution is probably best. You will need to also have a scale so you can weigh your rats to figure out the dose.

I should have linked the cat Revolution page and not the dog: http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/revolu ... 14_69.html

How many rats do you have? Then we can figure out which Revolution to suggest. I try to get tubes that I only need to open 1 and use for fall, then I don't waste any and have 2 spare tubes.

Back