Snowy's PEW Crew Plus a Few

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowy

Welcome to my rat blog! I hope you enjoy reading it and looking at the pictures.

First, a bit about me. I live in Fairbanks, Alaska with my fiance (P) and our multitude of animals (4 bunnies, 2 cockatiels, 5 rats). I'm going to school to be an elementary teacher. When I'm not studying or taking care of my pets, I like to goof around online, read, sew, play with my camera, and cook. In the summer, I like to mess around with plants and can't wait until we have a house so I can have an actual garden rather than just a container garden. P and I are getting married on August 1st of this year so I'm also doing a fair amount of wedding planning stuff.

On to the pets! Ratties first, of course. A bit of background: The only breeders you can find in Fairbanks (or anywhere within a few hundred miles, if not the whole state) are ones who breed rats for reptile food. Not a good choice! There were also no rescues when I got my first rats 3 years ago and I didn't see any on Petfinder in the 6 weeks before I finally got mine. I had to buy them at Petco because I didn't have any other choices. My first rats were 3 cute little girls. My 4th was a neutered boy who was from an accidental litter in a town about 9 hours from here. The girl's mom was threatening to drop him off at the pet store if we didn't take him, so we made the drive. After they passed on, I decided not to get any more and instead focused on my bunnies.

That all changed in October when we went to Petco to look at the parrots (something we do every couple of weeks, just for fun) and spotted a very obviously pregnant PEW rat in one of the aquariums they keep the rodents in. I begged P to let me get her because I felt so bad for her, being pregnant at a pet store and her and all her babies destined to be pet food. Paul wouldn't let me get her, but I went back 3 days later to see if she was still there. She was gone :( I'm hoping someone nice took her home. I wandered around the rodent tanks, and stopped in front of the little baby girls. As I was watching, I saw one little girl run on the wheel, then stop and chase her tail. She finally caught it and groomed it. It was so cute! She was interrupted when one of the employees opened the tank and scooped out a couple of rats for some guy's reptiles. Before he could close the tank, I found myself telling him I wanted the girl in the wheel. I had him randomly pick one of the other rats so she wouldn't be alone. I picked up a few small rat care things and took my new girls home. Thankfully, P was not mad at me getting two new pets without asking (what a guy!) and I quickly fell in love with the baby PEWs who had never been handled. I named them Annabell (which means "lovable") and Lalita (which means "playful"- she was the one who was chasing her tail). Within the week, there was a Ferret Nation on it's way in the mail and I was collecting fabric to sew bedding for them. I also found and befriended forum member Pink, who has been VERY nice and helpful with my ratties. She has a rescue which I didn't know about when I bought the girls.

Here are some photos of my little girls. They were about 4-5 weeks old when I got them, and pretty shy and skittish. They have both come around a lot in the past couple months because I work with them every day. They are very sweet, adorable, active girls who run to me when they get scared. Annabell is the explorer of the two, while Lalita is more shy but also sweet and likes to explore too when she feels comfortable. Bella and Lita are polite little girls and use the litter box quite well, usually don't pee or poop outside of the cage, and are best friends. They are dainty little things and will be small when they grow up.

Annabell 5 weeks:
IMG_1598resizedA.jpg

IMG_1602resizedA.jpg

IMG_1609resized.jpg

IMG_1611resized.jpg

Lalita 5 weeks:
IMG_1616resizedB.jpg

IMG_1619B.jpg

IMG_1620resizedB.jpg

IMG_1663resized.jpg

IMG_1648resized.jpg

IMG_1654resizedLalita.jpg

Annabell 8 weeks:
IMG_1691resized.jpg

Lalita 8 weeks:
IMG_1727resized.jpg

IMG_1702resized.jpg

IMG_1721resized.jpg

IMG_1766resized.jpg

IMG_1800resized.jpg

IMG_1742resized.jpg

Lalita now:
IMG_2205resized.jpg

Annabell now:
IMG_2208resized.jpg

A couple days after Christmas, we took home 3 of Pink's rescue girls "on loan". They are wonderful little ladies. They actually came from the same girl we got Colby Jack (my boy rat who died last summer) from, she decided she didn't want them anymore and Pink was kind enough to take them in. Astrid and Gretchen are sisters and were born on my brother's birthday (October 4th), and Saskia came from a pet store but is about the same age. These girls are 15 1/2 months old right now. I fell in love with them very quickly, Astrid and Gretchen are both really outgoing and like to explore. Saskia is a little grouchier, but lovable nonetheless. These girls were causing issues at Pink's house because they aren't super fond of other rats, but we're hoping they will accept Annabell and Lalita since they are young still. If we can't make it work, Pink will allow us to bring them back and adopt 2 or 3 of her other girls, but we're really hoping they will accept each other and I am willing to work to make it happen!

Here are photos of the trio.

Astrid (PEW) and Gretchen (Himi)
IMG_2002resized.jpg

Saskia
IMG_2014resized.jpg

IMG_2018resized.jpg

IMG_2025resized.jpg

IMG_2045resized.jpg

I forgot to buy a water bottle so they got to drink out of a mug the first night!
IMG_2046resize.jpg

IMG_2123resized.jpg

IMG_2106resized.jpg

IMG_2098resized.jpg

I also have 4 bunnies. I love my bunnies! This is Rory, he is almost 3. He is my special boy. He hates other bunnies and doesn't really care for people who aren't me, but he is very sweet and loves to cuddle with me when he feels like it.

IMG_0628resized.jpg

This is Skyler. He turned 2 a couple weeks go. In December he was diagnosed with a very serious illness that will shorten his lifespan considerably. There will be many vet visits in the future for us as he deteriorates, but so far he is acting like his normal happy self in spite of being sick. He is a wonderful rabbit with a great personality. He loves everyone and follows me around.

IntheGarden118.jpg

Here is Phoebe Mae. She is my only girl and almost 1 1/2! She is also a great little bunny. She is loving but also pretty feisty and knows what she wants.

IMG_0549resized.jpg

This is my Ned. He is the newest bunny addition and came to us rather unexpectedly back in May. He is a wonderful boy, very endearing and sweet. He is kind of clumsy and loves food more than anything else in the world.

IMG_0913resized.jpg

And last of all, these are my 2 cockatiels. Arthur is the gray one, he is 11 years old and I've had him since he was a baby. Poppet is the yellow one, she is only about a year and a half old. They are best friends. They're both nice little birdies.

Birdsresized119.jpg

I've written a lot and posted a lot of pictures, but didn't want to leave anyone out! Feel free to ask me any questions and I'd be thrilled if anyone comments on my pets. I will try to update this journal on a regular basis and will undoubtedly post a lot of pictures.

Whoknew and Eagle, I'm glad you like the blog so far!

Here are a few more pictures of the girls from a week or so ago. I think Eagle has seen them already, oh well!

Gretchen checking out P's bulging bicep:
IMG_2107resized.jpg

"Must get a kiss!"
IMG_2108resized.jpg

P catching on to Gretchen's idea:
IMG_2109resized.jpg

Someone doesn't like rat kisses, what a weirdo:
IMG_2110resized.jpg

Poor, rejected Greti. I like ratty kisses, Gretchen!
IMG_2111resized.jpg

Also let me note that Nedders doesn't normally have crap stacked on top of his cage. We had to move his cage to make room for the Christmas tree, and his cage was blocking the closet door. I got the stuff in the closet later that day!

Saskia likes to climb onto my head for some reason and has done it more than once!
IMG_2121resized.jpg

"Is there space for me up there too?"
IMG_2120resized.jpg

I have some other photos I'll post soon too! Just to give you an idea... Saskia, Gretchen and Astrid were VERY cute babies and I have access to photos of G and A all the way back to when they were newborns :wink2:

I'm glad you like my journal, Maple :)

Here's a first! Bella and Lita are out on the couch with me right now and after running around for about an hour and a half, Lalita crawled into my t-shirt and has fallen asleep. How sweet is that? She went through a phase of hiding in my shirt a month or so ago, but that was because she was scared. She hadn't gone into my shirt for a couple weeks until tonight :D

More photos! Today I made these rat treat strings. I call them rat pinatas. The big girls and the little girls both got one in their cage. Pink came over for a little while tonight and got to see the girls with their pinatas. I tried to put them where the ratties kind of had to work to get the treats They went over quite well, as you can see! At first Gretchen and Addi (aka Astrid, we call her Addi most of the time) were trying to reach it from the shelf, but quickly realized they could get it better from the floor.

IMG_2251resized.jpg

Gretchen was so excited about it that both her back feet were actually off the floor!
IMG_2256resized.jpg

Saskia investigates:
IMG_2258resized.jpg

Gretchen figures out that she can get the treats easier if she stands on the igloo (she's actually standing on the side of the igloo):
IMG_2259resized.jpg

"You shall be miiiiiiiine!"
IMG_2264resized.jpg

what the other girls did while Gretchen did all the work:
IMG_2265resized.jpg

My favorite photo of the bunch :D
IMG_2269resized.jpg

Eventually she chewed through the ribbon and ran off with her prize!
IMG_2270resized.jpg

Pink came over because on Saturday night I both found little scabs on Addi's chin (mites) and Gretchen started occasionally making a snorgling sound when she breathes. It sounds like coffee percolating. Rather disturbing! Some of her girls were suffering from the same thing (but have all recovered) so she knew what to do. We are going to start her on Baytril, and I'm going to call the vet tomorrow morning and ask for a Baytril prescription for her. I just took Gretchen to the vet on Wednesday because I was concerned about her sneezing, her lungs sounded clear then but that's obviously changed. When she makes the sound, I can actually feel it in her chest, and when you hold her up to your ear you can hear it on the left side.

We all enjoyed the little visit, the bunnies were all happy to get pets and all the ratties (except for Lalita, who hid) were happy to see her too. Rory's been acting much more affectionate the past couple weeks and for the first time EVER approached people who aren't P or me. He even lot both Pink and her boyfriend pick him up! I took this photo of Rory and Pink right after she picked him up because I was so amazed. Rory is almost 3 and I suspect he's mellowing out now that he's maturing, my first bunny did the same thing.

IMG_2273resized.jpg

Thanks, Ratty Momma!

Also, I thought I'd add that the trio is here forever! I've become very attached to them in the past 3 weeks and they're going to stay here even if they hate the little girls. The plan was to "exchange" them for 3 of Pink's other rescue girls if this didn't pan out, but Gretchen, Addy and Saskia are my girls now and I would be very sad if they left. So :happydance: !

Mike, the birdies are wearing diapers/flight suits. I put them on when they come out to play so they don't poop everywhere. They don't mind wearing them. I put a little folded up square of toilet paper into the butt part. In the summer, I attach their little lanyards to the suits and take them outside :)

OMG, I didn't even notice that the birds were wearing suits... so cute!

Count me as a Ned fan. He's adorable.

Moon, a lot of cockatiels won't tolerate wearing the suits but mine do. Funny thing is I had to buy them suits, then exchange them for smaller sizes because my guys are tiny! Arthur is wearing I believe the baby cockatiel size, and Poppet is wearing like the parakeet size. They are midget birds.

Ned is a total sweetie. I adore him. He's very loving and happy so see people. Of all the bunnies, he will spend the longest sitting on a stranger's lap. He has the cutest little face that he will smoosh into the bars of the cage if he thinks you're going to pet his nose. He did something funny the other day. P and I were on the couch reading books. Nedders jumped up and came over to me to be petted. I pet him for a while, and absentmindedly slowed down because I was caught up in the book. He thought "enough of this!" and hopped over to P for pets. I set the book down and we were talking about how cute Ned is. He saw that I wasn't busy anymore, so came back over to me. I petted him for a while, then stopped because I wanted to see if he would go back to P. Nope, he edged closer to me. Still no pets. I was lying down, so he hopped onto my stomach/chest and lay there with his nose 2 inches from mine. "Thou shalt pet the Neddie!" It was cute. Also proves that I am his favorite person :bunnydance:

Back