Snow is on the mend!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My poor Snow is very sick, struggling for breath, lethargic. We just got back from the vets with Baytril and a pretty guarded prognosis.

Her extremities have a blue'ish tinge, so I'm assuming she is not getting much oxygen, and the vet was concerned with the sounds from both lungs, and her heart.

I can't believe how suddenly she went downhill, and am feeling like a complete jerk for not picking up on it sooner. She seemed perfectly fine yesterday morning, and maybe a little lethargic last night.....but completely crashed overnight, and was in horrible shape this morning.

I've given her the first dose of Baytril, a puff of ventolin, and syringed a little baby food into her......I've put her in a separate cage next to her friends, just so they don't eat the mashed bananas I've left for her. I don't know what else I can do for her.

Suprisingly still hanging in there, and looking a little better. She's even been eating a bit on her own, and wanting to join her friends, so I put her back in with the girls. So keeping my fingers crossed that she continues to improve. :cuddle:

Shel was awesome today and gave me a drug list to bring back to the vet, so hopefully I can get back in tomorrow for:

a shot of dexamethasone, enalapril and Doxy

I wish I'd done my research ahead of time, but got a little panicky with how rough she looked.....the vet warned me before he even touched her that she might not make it through the stress of an exam.

I woke up to check on Snow and found her curled up on the floor of the cage, fleece pushed back to lay on the wires....so not super comfortable, but one of her sisters had come down to snuggle beside her. :cuddle: They're taking good care of her. :hugs:

Slight improvement again this morning. She even helped herself to some avocados :joy:

:joy: I cannot believe how quickly she has turned the corner....she is now running around as if nothing was ever wrong. :joy:

:bow: THANK YOU SHEL for all your help! :bow:

I am going back this afternoon for another week's worth of Baytril. The vet felt 7 days was enough, but I'm with you, I do not want to see this bug come back stronger than ever...... So I talked them into 14 days. :thumbup:

Luckily she loves the banana flavour, so is attacking the syringe eagerly! I would not want to have to wrestle it into her.

Back