Sneezing Turned into Gurggles!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melon_mayhem

I dont know whats wrong with my rat Izzy, I just took her to the vet on wednesday of last week and he said she was fine even though she seemed to sneeze all the time but that was her only symptom.

Now she's gurgling when ever she breaths! I can feel her lungs vibrate because the gurgle is so strong. To me she sounds like she's breathing in liquid. Her lungs sound like there's something in them just to my ears without a stethascope.

What could be wrong with her?
:sad3:

If she sounds congested when you listen to either side of her by holding her up to your ear, she has fluid in her lungs.
She needs to see a vet that knows about rats asap.
Sounds like she needs to be put on antibiotics immediately (usually baytril + either clavamox, doxy or zithro) for approx 6 weeks. The vet may also prescribe a diuretic such as lasix for a short period of time, to help get fluid out of her lungs so she can breath easier.

Rats die fast so this probably isn't something that can wait until next week.
I would get her to a vet this morning.

What probably happened is that the disease has now moved into the lungs... Call up the vet and tell him you want a re-check. This should be cheaper than a real visit. Ask for Baytril and doxy. ...beg for it.

Thank you both very much!

The gurgling has died down a bit and she seems to be breathing a bit easier but i will go back in tomorrow (their not open today :? ) and ask them to put her on some antibiotics..

I'll post an update of the appointment, hopefully all will go well

If there is actual fluid in the lungs, also ask for Enalapril and Furosemide (Lasix). Your girl can actually be on all 4 meds together (these two plus Doxy and Baytril).
Make sure you mix it with something yummy so it won't be too yucky for your sweetie.
Good luck!!

Okay so the vet put her on .2 cc's of baytril twice a day for two weeks. They also gave me a bit extra in case my other rat Emma starts sneezing but she seems to be doing excellently!

Thanks again to everyone that replied!

Great that you were able to get her in. :joy:
Hopefully it has her soon feeling better
.... if it does, when it gets close to two weeks you will need to beg for more ... that isn't even close to enough.
.... if it doesn't then you will need to try a combo of meds as previously mentioned.

They gave me 8CC's total and the nurse that i spoke with when i picked it up said that i'd only need 6CC's for the 2 weeks so that should meen that i could probably squeeze 3 weeks out of this amount that i have. I'll ask for more when thats gone. How long do you think that she should be on it?

Well shoot i guess i'll need more then..Izzy was doing better but now she's making weird sounds again when she breaths, less like the gurgling sound and more of a squeak like sound. Im just not sure what i can do im running up quite the vet bill with all the appointments :(

Any suggestions i can make to the vet?

(ps i called them today and told them that she seems to have gotten worse again and they said to just continue her on the meds and to maybe take her into the bathroom with the water on hot to get lots of steam to help her breath)

If she isn't doing better within 3 days then you need to ask for doxy or clavamox or zithro to be added to the baytril.
The vet shouldn't need to see her, where he just did ... if he needs to see her there should be no cost or reduced cost as it is a follow up visit.
If she has fluid in her lungs she may need lasix for awhile to help get the fluid out of her lungs.

good luck.

For me, Baytril can take up to 5 days to work. But I would definitely keep her on the Baytril for at least a month.
If in a week there's not change in her, then I'd ask for doxy to be added. Like SQ has mentioned, the vet shouldn't need to see her either... or at least do a recheck which is much cheaper.
The fact that he suggested bringing her into the bathroom is unprofessional if you ask me. That is definitely not a solution to a URI.

well the only reason that he mentioned that was to give her some short term relief and it does seem to help. But if she's not doing better by monday i'll ask for some doxy.

Thanks again!

When the air is dry, many of ud use cool air mist humidifiers to make breathing easier for ratties.
If her lungs are congested and she needs relief, then she needs lasix to get the fluid out of her lungs until the antibiotics are able to make a difference.

(btw, I'm starting to pack as I need to move and this is going to take awhile :(
Discovering that the ratties have a lot more stuff then I do :doh: )

Back