Sneezing LOTS of blood

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catibrie

I don't know what happened or if ther is somethig wrong with her insides....
We were gettig the kids ready for their dinner. James picked Bear up and one of her nostrils was leaking lots of blood. It is not mycoplasmia sp? (snot) is has a rusty, tinny smell... and seems to come out in sneezy spurts.
Does anyone know, or have any idea? I am preparing to call the vet emerg line.........

Could be a nasal polyp that she scratched, but this sounds like a good reason for a trip to the vet.

bright red = blood

Hope there is a vet on call that knows about rats.
Could be something broken ?

Give Bear ice cream or popsicle to eat.
Does she seem to be in pain?
Please phone the # I pmed you.

page 14 (Rat health care book)
"Bleeding from the nose is usually caused by an infection, which requires aggressive treatment with a strong antibiotic. Bleeding from the nose or eyeball can also be caused by high blood pressure which can be treated with enalapril."

This was a highly unusual situation ......
My only experience of bleeding from nose was when Jonathan somehow (still haven't been able to figure it out) had his upper jaw badly broken.

From the description it is without a doubt blood.
and it doesn't sound like something you should 'wait and see' about.

Hope the vet has an answer for you and the wee-ratter.
Good luck!!

SQ I called that number. SHe taked me through it, She agrees it is a scratch in her nose. Bear has been eating banana popsicle and it has stopped bleeding. I called the vet emerg line and asked if there is a rat vet on. They said yes. So now I will wait for a few mins. If the bleeding so much as hints at a start, we go see the Dr. ... thank you so much

This might be something that will recur... I don't think it's a dire situation, more of something to keep an eye on and be at the ready to apply pressure if there's too much blood.

So it is about midnight. Bear has been sitting with me and having sips of water and a snack. She has not started bleeding again, so I am going to go to bed, and we will see her regular vet in the am. Thankyou all so much for the quick reply. I've only been a rat mommy for a year now, and there is still so much scary stuff out there... shudder to think what I would do without some real veteran mommies

So we saw her vet today, she figures Bear just scratched her nose, as everything looks good. No signs of infection or anything. Thanks again for everything

Back