Sneezing fits

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Static

So, I just adopted two adorable ratties from a local pet store this sunday. They both seemed to be in great health and completely happy. However, one of them has begun having sneezing fits. He was fine until just recently, and even now he doesn't seem unhealthy apart from the ocasional sniffle. I was wondering what could cause this. Is he allergic to something in the cage? Or is it a food allergie, a cold, or what?
He's only about six weeks old. His name is Nook, and he has a brother, Knox. Knox is fine.
Thanks for any advice.

Hi! CongRATS on the new boys.
It could very well be just him getting used to his surroundings. You could try a few things like remove the bedding or change it to just cloth if you are using a wood chip or carefresh. Also, if there is any smoking around the rat, that can do it or strong perfumes or fresheners like Febreeze.

Hmm, is carefresh bad for them? I thought it was fine.
I've been listening to Nooks breathing and he doesn't seem congested at all, thank goodness. I hope he's just getting used to his new home. I'm now wondering whether the sneezing might have to do with the fact that my windowsill was just sanded down. Some of the dust might have blown in his direction.
I'll see if he improves in the next while, and if not I'll try switching his bedding.
Thanks!

Carefresh is not exactly bad but what I've noticed is that it's very dusty. But there are several people that have their rats on carefresh with no problems at all. It could very well be the dust coming off the windows.

Back