Sneezing and poryphin

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pointy

We have had parsnip and spoon for nearly two weeks now and theyre getting on great, very happy and friendly. They were sneezing alot but it seemed to be just when excited. Parsnip has porphryin around the nose. The sneezing went away a bit at first and seemed to just be while they were excited but now Parsnips sneezing is worse than before, less often but worse when he does and it sounds more wet and snuffly, and he has quite alot of porphyrin round his nose. Time for the vet?

It sounds like it could be a respiratory infection. I would get him to the Vet asap because he'll need meds quick if that is the case. Respiratory infections can get bad fast.

:yeah:
I agree. Sometimes new homes come with a few sneezes, but that goes away fairly quickly. This sounds different, it sounds like they have a respiratory infection, a vet visit and antibiotics are the route to go.

hmmm, better safe than sorry I always say guys.
And to be safe, i'd take 'em in for a quick check up! You should take 'em in anyway, just so your vet can get to know your guys!
Place their chests up to your ear, this is called the rat telephone, does it sound crackly or wet at all?
This is an odd one though, their sisters are still here, and are both not sneezing, either is mum or dad.
They all live together now too!

Perhaps the stress of the move made it worse, it's hard to say, but i'd for sure take them in if you're concerned about it.
Keep me poster about those wee sweeties guys.

Our boys all sneeze a bit, and the vet declared them healthy... Her definition, if I can spell it accurately, was that "pft pft" sneezes were healthy, and "ksht ksht" sneezes were to be worried about. Has anyone heard this before?

MomRat said:
Our boys all sneeze a bit, and the vet declared them healthy... Her definition, if I can spell it accurately, was that "pft pft" sneezes were healthy, and "ksht ksht" sneezes were to be worried about. Has anyone heard this before?

I always do the rat phone to tell whether its vet worthy or not....
Nice spelling though, I TOTALLY understood the sounds you meant!
:nod:

I have found that some peoples rats sneeze more then others, why I have no clue. Mine don't sneeze often at all unless they go to the vet or get stressed (which is rare) or have a URI.

The recent temperature change can make a difference too. The heat going on in the last little while could cause dryer air or new smells from stale vents being circulated.

MomRat said:

I agree with this too...

Parsnip seems totally fine with his breathing now, everything was fine the next day and ever since. He still sneezes now and again but its always just the "pft" kind with no snuffling sounds or rattles in the chest, I've done the rat phone and it all seems fine.

One thing I'm concerned about though is that he's nine weeks old now and still has only one ball dropped! Also his urine seems rather dark brown today. No blood in it but still seems odd to me...

Back