SmallVic intro

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallvic

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Hi everyone, it's been a long time since I've been on a board. I will not be a big participant but I will stop in from time to time. I see you all have so much going on, and I feel out of the loop!

Some of you know me, I'm Jane and I ran Small Victories Rodent Rescue. I only do advice and referrals now, plus opportunities to do good PR for rats. I am very grateful that so many others are also doing the work I used to do and the stuff they do too!

I am due to update Mooshika.org and will do so shortly, so check it out in a few weeks - or now, and send me requests and comments I can add to my to-do list.

I have 11 girl rats and for the three newest ones (former adoption came back), I did a term paper in Religion and Alternative Medicine on giving them complementary medicine after their tumour surgery. When I handed in the paper, I was sure they would simply be long-term palliative care for me. Then a week later, their recurring tumours turned out to be abscesses, and almost miraculously cleared up. Tangerine now has a recurring tumour in another place, but I got tamoxifen as a few of my older girls (Sicero will be 2 soon, and her best friend Michaela of unknown age) are getting tumours and this should help.

I have been slowly lowering my number of animals at home because I have been very busy and I will continue to be very busy for a long time, so ideally in the future I will only keep 4 - 6 rats. Rats are friends I can't imagine being without, but I have to reclaim time in order to pursue my ambitions, without compromising on their care.

I have three cages of mice - two boys, and a fabulous cage of girls (I really should post a pic). I also have 2 bunnies and a dog; ages 3, 5, and 10.

I will be posting in the Rehomes section when I hear of rodents in Montreal needing homes. Take it for granted there are rats at the SPCA here. A good bunch of volunteers, much better than when I started rescuing. The pets get rehomed fairly well and quickly.

Also, soon I will also be posting to find fosters for my pets for my upcoming trip to Denmark at the end of the summer. I will take care of them financially as best I can, and hopefully I can take either 3 rats or the bunnies with me to DK. This is just an early heads-up; for the rat girls I doubt I can foster all 8 together somewhere so perhaps it will be 4 and 4, or 5 and 3.

That's all for now, feel free to reintroduce yourself to me if we used to chat on Pet Rats Canada or somewhere…

Hey Jane!!!

Nice to see you on here :)

Wow Sicero is almost 2 years old? :shock:

and is Tangerine from the first litter of NB babies or the 2nd?

Its good that all your plans are working out, how long will you be going to Denmark?

Shelagh :wave:

Hi Jane!! It's great to see you here. You've done so much for the rat rescue. I still remember your video with your bunnies and rats running all over, so much fun!

:welcome2: Jane! Nice to see you here and to have news of your lovely critters. Sounds like school is going well and that you are being kept very busy. Special :tumkiss: to Sicero, Melonie and Tangerine.

Tangerine is from Corrie and Byron's first litter,
Melonie is from Corrie and Byron's second litter.

Very, very sorry to hear that Tangerine is developing another tumor.

Thanks everyone!

Indeed, Tangerine is Melonie's older sister. It's a shame about the tumour, it's an aggressive one. She is such a licky girl, the three together all are, I can reach in the cage and they all reach for me. It's quite endearing.

Squeaky, I have that wheel ready to go, did you get my 2 e-mails about anything else you might need in the package? I will send it in early May.

Godmother, Sicero's tumour is in her armpit and it's rather loose. I figure she's going to hit 2 soon as she came in in November with her two litters, and she was full grown and very affectionate then, so I think for a litter in late September/early October she must have been born in May or June.

I expect to go to Denmark in late August and come back at the end of Christmas, but there is a possibility to stay until June 24 of next year. I could go, come back for my last semester, and go again - so long as I have a place to stay, preferably with pet-friendly roommates.

Back