Small scabs on neck and head

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaze

My rat has small scabs on his head and neck. He lives alone since he dosent like other rats, and I just got his nails cut so will that be enough to let them heal up? Or might they be from something else

Scabs on the head and neck, at least in my experience, are usually from mites or lice. If you use any kind of commercial bedding they can come from there (to avoid this freeze the bedding for 48 hours before using it), or even just from you tracking them in from outside on your way to/from shops or work. He might be doing it to himself if his nails were exceptionally long, but I'd be looking at addressing the cause of the additional itchiness if that's the case.

If definitely not mites or lice, it could also be dry skin in the best case scenario, which can be managed a bit with humidity (either a cool mist humidifier or steaming in the bathroom while you take a warm shower).

Mites/lice can usually be determined a few ways and there are some good resources on line, including the ectoparasites article on Rat Guide that can help identify if this is the case.

My rat has small scabs on his head and neck. He lives alone since he dosent like other rats, and I just got his nails cut so will that be enough to let them heal up? Or might they be from something else
Hello, any updates on your rat? Hope he's just okay.

Back