Small, Medium or Large

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

September555

Just wondered (and I didn't know if a "poll" was appropriate for this or not) What size rats do most of you have. My girls are small. I have noticed with alot of the pics and stuff posted on here, everyone's rats look so BIG compared to mine. Even the last one I had that was full grown seemed small. Mine are just kids right now, but, everyones looks so big. So just wondered what everyone mostly has? Can you mix large rats with small rats? Or medium with small?

I've noticed that many people say mine look big when in fact, my rats are not. My males are about 500 grams or smaller, my females are all under 300 grams. I do have one big male, he's 600 grams but I wont limit his diet because of his on going lung disease.

But yes, you can mix small, medium and large.
I would caution though about "large". Some rats are build bigger so large would be appropriate but large could also mean obese which is very unhealthy.

Yeah I would be leary of mixing large breed rats with small breed, they are much bigger. I don't know what mine weight, they are young yet. I notice most pet stores sell small breed ones. Your ratties do look large. I think the dumbos look really big ti me. They are sooo cute.

P.

I should introduce my guys at some point - I have a little wee naked girl named Trixie who is about 250 grams, and Johnny who is over 600 grams (not obese, just BIG). They get along like a house on fire and Johnny is so gentle with Trixie, even though she's a little pest with him sometimes. I've had them together since Trix was about half that weight; they've always been great together.

The two rescue boys I have are 530 grams and 630 grams. The 630 one is too fat though, probably should be about 550 grams. I guess you'd call them both large?

Bert and Ernie aren't that bad Alice :) And I am still dying to meet Trixie (I only met her as a wee one) and her big brudder.

September...small, medium and large at petstores is just an age thing. Young rats are small, medium are adolescents and large are adults. You can mix smaller-sized adults with larger adults no problem with proper introductions. :)

Don't know if you by mix mean breed together (a big boy and a small girl would not be good) or just live together, living together is fine, my alfa-boys have usually been the smaller ones, before it was the smallest, now he's gone the second smallest has taken over controle of the boy cage.

My girls were all on the small side because they were all very active :D and petstore :( My boys are on the larger side, my Coal is 600g and my Chimo is in the 500g area so they are size large, I suppose :lol:

My girls are all more on the small side, with my girl Luna being the smallest. She was the runt of the litter, and still remains a bit smaller.. but that doesn't stop her from being the new boss of the cage :roll:

One of my boys is about 3.5 lbs :shock: He looks monstrous next to all my other rats. My other two boys I'd say are medium sized for boys, but my biggest one I'd say is Large.

I've never had any larger girls, but I have seen them :D

Yep, I'll show my most recent picture. The boy next to him is what I think is a regular sized boy. The grey one is Vincent, he's a regular active boy, and my big black berkshire is Bobo.. my monster rat as I call him :lol:
bobovincent.jpg

Belly Shot! Blurry, but you can see he's far bigger than my hand,
bobobelly.jpg

LOL...my Bobo!!! I tried so hard to convince Shelley she really should give him to me as a thank you gift for the other 2 boys :D She didn't go for it!

I said he would be alpha...he's guineapig sized!!!

WOW Shelley, thats one big rat!!! I think he may be bigger than Luke!! Currently Luke is about 2.5 lbs and he is not fat. He is a very long bodied rat.

As for mixing sizes to live together, Luke lives in a cage with 5 rats (himself included) and although he is the largest, he gets along extremely well with Merial who is the smallest. Think petite rat girl that never grew past 2 months. When it comes to those two, the little one is in charge lol, we saw her flipping the 2.5 pounder the other day :roll:

Lol, Bobo is quite the character :lol: He just kept getting bigger and bigger, it's hard to imagine he used to be this

smallbobo.jpg

LOL.

Size really does have nothing to do with rats getting along, my boys cage is really peaceful which is nice. Bobo may be the giant boss, but he's also a gentle boy. Although he does love to play chase with the other two boys which ends in power grooming. They love it though, and at the end of the day they all jump on Bobo as a big pillow. :roll:

I have a scale I use for the rats, but Bobo is too big, he's off the scale :( lol, my girls can be weighed with it though. I used a human weigh scale for Bobo. Weigh myself without, add rat, weigh again, and thats where my extra 3.5 lbs came from. :lol:

I'm part of a guild on one of my gaming forums, and some of the guys there think it's strange I have so many rats. So I made them this icon, which made them all laugh pretty hard. :lol:
monsteraticon.jpg

It's funny, because I swear that Zoey (my old female) was as big as Rose is, so I don't know if that means that Rose is considered a small male, or if she was a huge female. I know Rose is over 400 grams, I can't remember how much exactly though. Freyr is the size of Guild, and Loki's bigger than Guild yet smaller than Rose. Guild's definately a small boy.

my girls have all been small and slim! I'm always extra careful to make sure none of my animals never get overweight, but I know its not always possible :wink:

Back