Small cone? Has anyone made one?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jlou

So my rat Cyrano had a deep abrasion on his tail tonight and the emergency vet was out of tiny cones but wants him to wear one because he cleans his tail frequently. He told me to check various pet stores. Well no one has a rat sized cone... has anyone made one and if so, what did you use to make it?

I’m also wondering about his medicine.. he has me giving him a much larger dose of baytril than I ever gave him for even his worst respiratory flare up. It’s just once a day but I think it’s still a fair amount more than I’ve given him in a 24 hour period before. I can’t get in contact with my regular vet until Monday to verify and I’ve never treated a rat for an actual injury before so this may be totally normal?

Sorry for rambling. Just stressing out that my little guy is hurting.

People do not put cones on rats.
It will stress them and can interfere with eating and drinking
Rats do not usually bother their incisions if they are getting enough pain control

Baytril is given orally twice a day and the amount is based on the weight of the rat and the strength of the baytril (mg/ml)

There is a rage of doses for baytril that is safe
see http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/enrofloxacin_baytril.php

Back